Menu
schuda
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sending emails

For a week I have been unable to send emails using Outlook 2013 on a Windows 8.1 PC.  I have deleted and  reinstalled Outlook, and the email settings have been checked by 2 Virginmedia engineers and verified as correct.  When sending emails, I now get a message "Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing SMTP email server", and advises that I contact the ISP.  2 engineers have so far failed to solve the problem.  I am running Norton, and have turned off the spam filter, however this has not helped.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sending emails

Based on the ping and tracert results I would say that you are suffering from the same problem that people in the thread I created are.  Virgin do have a fault ticket raised for this.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

schuda wrote:

For a week I have been unable to send emails using Outlook 2013 on a Windows 8.1 PC.  I have deleted and  reinstalled Outlook, and the email settings have been checked by 2 Virginmedia engineers and verified as correct.  When sending emails, I now get a message "Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing SMTP email server", and advises that I contact the ISP.  2 engineers have so far failed to solve the problem.  I am running Norton, and have turned off the spam filter, however this has not helped.

Deleting and re-installing Outlook is not the answer to your email woes. Deleting VM from being your email provider is the answer you are looking for.

Get an ISP independent email address, one which correctly supports the use of email client software, and your problems will disappear.

As to the VM "engineers" you have spoken to, I would surmise that they are actually a third party service, probably based offshore, work to a script, and are realistically of no use whatsoever.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Sololobo

Sololobo wrote:

schuda wrote:

Deleting and re-installing Outlook is not the answer to your email woes. Deleting VM from being your email provider is the answer you are looking for.

Agreed

Get an ISP independent email address, one which correctly supports the use of email client software, and your problems will disappear.

Half agree.  Virgin's Email does "correctly" support the use of client software (apart from deleting POP3 email that is).  I've identified a strange problem that appears to be network related and have passed the information over to Virgin to investigate - see here - http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Error-0x800CCC0E-request-for-diagnostic-information-from-u...

As to the VM "engineers" you have spoken to, I would surmise that they are actually a third party service, probably based offshore, work to a script, and are realistically of no use whatsoever.

Agreed - if it falls outside their knowledge base first line have no idea at all.  Worse, some of them start spouting anything in order to get people off the phone.

@schuda Have a look at the thread I linked,  can you try the tests in the first post and post the results?

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
schuda
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you both for your replies.

Here is the info requested:

Pinging smtp.virginmedia.com
Request timed out
Request timed out
Request timed out
Request timed out

Ping statistics for 62.254.26.219
Packets: Sent=4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 )100% loss)

Tracing route t
over a maximum

1     *            *           *           Request timed out
  2     7 ms     7ms      8ms      nott-core-2b xe-330-0.network.net [62.255.231.213]
  3     *            *           *           Request timed out
  4     *            *           *           Request timed out
  5     *            *           *           Request timed out
  6    20 ms    10ms    11ms    leed-bb-1b-ael-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.122]
  7    16 ms     24ms    32ms   know-dcore-1a-pc1.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.162.50]
  8    15 ms     16ms    19ms   smtp.virginmedia.net [62.254.26.219]

Trace complete.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Based on the ping and tracert results I would say that you are suffering from the same problem that people in the thread I created are.  Virgin do have a fault ticket raised for this.

Ravenstar68

schuda
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

OK - many thanks, ravenstar.  Thought I was going mad!  I don't suppose you have any idea how long it is likely to be before they sort it?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Afraid not - I know Virgin have tried a couple of different fixes that didn't work so I'm afraid it's a waiting game.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi schuda,

Thanks for coming to our Community for help with this. As ravenstar has advised this is something we're currently investigating, faults ref: F004732186/F004727449 (one for webmail access the other for email socket errors, both are linked).

We don't currently know how long it will be until we have this matter resolved but this is being dealt with as high priority and a number of 'fixes' have been deployed though sadly they didn't yield the desired result. But we hope to have to this remedied soon.

Keep on this Forum as we'll provide updates as we receive them.

Thank you for your patience in the meantime Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
schuda
Tuning in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thank you - the issue does seem to have been resolved.

For future reference, though, would it not be a good idea to notify the technical support team of such issues?  I made 2 calls to them on separate days, and neither person was aware that there was a problem.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi schuda,

Fault ref: F004727449 was available knowledge for those taking broadband fault related calls. So I'm not sure why this information wasn't provided to you but please accept my apology.

And do let us know if you have any other issues or concerns, we'll be happy to offer our assistance.

Take care Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos