Menu
colin2016
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sending emails to Blueyonder.co.uk addresses - 554 spam content found

Hi, we are experiencing problems when trying to send legitimate business emails to clients who happen to have Virgin email addresses. These include @blueyonder.co.uk and @ntlworld.com addresses. We straightaway receive a bounce-back saying '554..........spam content found'. The emails being sent are not spam, nor bulk. They are simple messages such as responses to requests for quotation, payslip advices, communication with business clients about current projects etc. We use MaxMail for filtering our outbound email and all other domains appear to be receiving from us without issue. Please can someone advise who I should talk to at Virgin so we can get this problem sorted out? Thanks Colin
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sending emails to Blueyonder.co.uk addresses - 554 spam content found

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised when IT professionals post without reading the Forum stickies first and looking back at previous posts on this long standing issue but I am.

VM guidance on what to do in case of this error:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-Spam-Content-Found-error-550-554/td-p/3229831

VM guidance on stopping this issue from interfering with e-mail delivery to their customers - effective from today

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Spam-Folder-Settings-Change/td-p/3267458

Background from one of the other Superusers about this issue:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/3026118#M129705

So in summary - known issue, resolution on the way, reasons for the issue all understood and guidance published.

Post back when you have checked that you are complying with VM's sending requirements, and the problem still persists but it shouldn't persist for very long.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
colin2016
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Howard. Yes I can indeed confirm that we have read and complied with the guidance and measures as per the copious other posts going back over a considerable period of time. If someone who actually works for Virgin could please respond so we can get this sorted out I would greatly appreciate it. Kind regards Colin
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It'll take about a week for a VM response by which time most of the problem will have been solved and you should see fewer bounce messages because the mail will be delivered, albeit marked as spam.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
colin2016
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes I was expecting it to take quite a few days to get a response from them, which is fine. As you say, the issue may well be mitigated in the meantime by the changes they are making. We have also changed our outbound mail-routing for VM domains which has also helped. It would appear that some smart hosts are liked more than others. Cheers Colin
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Tell us more about the smart host changes and issues that you have worked on, if you can and if it would not violate your business confidentiality.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
colin2016
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Our main outbound email feed goes to Max Mail (now SolarWinds, previously MaxFocus, LogicNow, GFI-Max) for outbound filtering and onward routing. Since we have a backup DSL circuit with PlusNet we thought we'd try routing VM-bound email via the Plusnet smarthosts. Hey Presto - they seem to like that flavour better! Colin
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'll return the favour!

@ModTeam - can you take a look please? Some surprising information in this thread that the PM may wish to consider and comment on.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos