Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
Pylon35
Helpful Answer

Sending emails from Windows Live Mail using @tesco.net email addresses

Evening everyone

I've been with Virgin broadband for years now, and never had a problem sending/receiving emails using my tesco.net email addresses.  In the past 3-4 weeks, I've been able to receive but not send any emails.

I've been doing a bit of digging and have tried various options for the Outgoing Server information, but always gets the same error message (below).

I've been on to Virgin media on their 0845 number and they advise that nothing has changed their end and to check it out with Tesco's.  Tesco's were more helpful and offered some advice via email (as opposed to their 50p per min tech support) and suggested trying the Virgin SMTP setting, but you'll see below that the error response was the same whichever settings I used.

I know that ISPs can configure their network to restrict emails to only work with their email addresses (Sky for example do this), but the guys at Virgin adamantly denied that the have made any changes or that they routinely do this.  Doing a bit more investigation, I know that I can send/receive using my Blackberry and can also do the same with my wife's HTC phone (using data roaming), but as soon as I jump on our home wi-fi it all falls over.

The only common thing when emails won't go is that Virgin are my ISP..... can anyone either a) suggest some alternative setting for my Windows Live Mail account, or b) shed any light on persuading Virgin Medial to switch tesco.net email addresses back on?

I can use webmail, but the interface is a bit clunky and doesn't offer the same look'n'feel of WLM (also, my wife who is the major user doesn't like it at all!!)

many thanks in advance

Ian

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity.

Subject 'from Windows Live mail'

Server: 'virginmedia.com'  or Server: 'mail.tesco.net' or Server: 'virginmedia.com'

Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0F

Protocol: SMTP

Port: 465

Secure(SSL): No

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

Re: Sending emails from Windows Live Mail using @tesco.net email addresses

see:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Unable-to-send-emails/m-p/787647#M35784

Making Waves
Pylon35

Thanks Slated

All fixed and now have a much happier Mrs Pylon!!  You've no idea how much grief I've been getting over this one,

Many thx

Ian

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

well, before the next load of grief, which can only be a matter of time, why not start migrating in orderly fashion away from a tesco email address and over to one you can control?

The thing is, one day Tesco will do the obvious thing and clear out non-customer accounts, just like VM do. Before then you could already have migrated your contacts over to hotmail or gmail or yahoo or even over to an email provider using your own domain, so you get as many email addresses as you want in the style of my.email@pylon.co.uk (if it is still available).

Just a thought.

Glad you got the immediate issue sorted.