Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7 (124 Views)

Sending e mails

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone, I'm tearing my hair out here and wondered if anyone can help?  Suddenly I'm having problems sending e mails, I can receive them though.  My e mail address is blueyonder and when I try to send an e mail from my iPad I get a message saying the recipient was rejected by the server.  I've tried deleting my account and reinstalling,  heckled my settings etc but nothing is making a difference.   Thank you!

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 3 of 7 (118 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Najmah
Tuesday

Re: Sending Emails

[ Edited ]

If a mail client is reporting recipient rejected then it means a mail is failing at a certain part of the SMTP transaction, the RCPT TO: <address@domain> stage.

From this, we can take a reasonable guess that this is going to be a 452 too many recipients (VM501) or (VM502) error.

It's nothing to do with your account settings.  Virgin has a limit on the TOTAL number of recipients a user can send to in:

1 Hour - Exceeding this will generate a 501 error
24 Hours - Exceeding this will generate a 502 error

From then on further attempts to send an email to ANY number of recipients (even one) will fail until the timeout period ends.

I would still request that you send @Jen_A the information she requested so she can find out more for you, however.

Edit @ModTeam or @Jen_A Could one of you consider changing the thread title?  After all the problem is not with receiving, but with sending instead.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Tuning in
Message 4 of 7 (90 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Najmah
Tuesday

Re: Receiving e mails

thank you so much for your reply.  As you suggested I have changed my subject title, I got my sending and receiving round the wrong way! I think you may have hit the nail on the head,  I didnt think I was sending to too many recipients as I wasn't sending excessive emails.  However I'm on holiday at the moment and was sending lots of photos home so maybe that was it.  Thankfully now the problem seems to have resolved itself. Thank you Ravenstar.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Message 2 of 7 (99 Views)

Hi Najmah,

Thanks for coming to us for help with this,  welcome to our Forum Smiley Happy

The recipient could have been rejected for any number of reasons so I'd like ask a few questions:

• Are all of your outgoing emails failing to send?
  • Is this affecting all recipients? If you've not already done so try sending to an address you've not sent to for a while.
  • What is the full error message  - copy and paste it on here but edit out any personal information (ie.email addresses).

Also would you send me a PM (hover your cursor over my picture and click on Send Message). 

Include:

1. Your email address
  2. The most recent date you failed to send an email.

Thanks Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 3 of 7 (119 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Najmah
Tuesday

Re: Sending Emails

[ Edited ]

If a mail client is reporting recipient rejected then it means a mail is failing at a certain part of the SMTP transaction, the RCPT TO: <address@domain> stage.

From this, we can take a reasonable guess that this is going to be a 452 too many recipients (VM501) or (VM502) error.

It's nothing to do with your account settings.  Virgin has a limit on the TOTAL number of recipients a user can send to in:

1 Hour - Exceeding this will generate a 501 error
24 Hours - Exceeding this will generate a 502 error

From then on further attempts to send an email to ANY number of recipients (even one) will fail until the timeout period ends.

I would still request that you send @Jen_A the information she requested so she can find out more for you, however.

Edit @ModTeam or @Jen_A Could one of you consider changing the thread title?  After all the problem is not with receiving, but with sending instead.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Tuning in
Message 4 of 7 (91 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Najmah
Tuesday

thank you so much for your reply.  As you suggested I have changed my subject title, I got my sending and receiving round the wrong way! I think you may have hit the nail on the head,  I didnt think I was sending to too many recipients as I wasn't sending excessive emails.  However I'm on holiday at the moment and was sending lots of photos home so maybe that was it.  Thankfully now the problem seems to have resolved itself. Thank you Ravenstar.

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7 (58 Views)

Thank you Jen.  I think the problem seems to have sorted itself out now.  However if it happens again I'll contact you as suggested.

Just joined
Message 6 of 7 (9 Views)

Re: Sending e mails

Hi all hope someone can help me. I can receive emails but can't send them? Any ideas please.

0 Kudos
Just joined
Message 7 of 7 (9 Views)

Re: Sending e mails

Hi, I'm having the same problem. Just hope someone comes up with a solution.

0 Kudos