Menu
Hastypenny
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sending a BCC e-mail to a distribution list

I have a simple question re: bcc e-mail and distribution listss. 

I have set up a distribution list and I would like to send all the people on it a BCC e-mail. 

When I go to the address book, select the distribution list and select "send e-mail", it puts all the addresses in the "To" field. 

How do I get it to put them in the "BCC" field instead so when they receive the e-mail they don't see each other's addresses?

Or is there another way round this which I haven't spotted? Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sending a BCC e-mail to a distribution list

Yep, change the order that you do the process in.  Select Compose new email first.  Enter a single email address into the To field - usually your own, then type the distribution list name into the BCC field.  That way the recipients see the email as coming from you but don't see all the other addresses.

Hastypenny
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I tried that. My name appears in the "To" field OK. But if I select the distribution list in the BCC field, that field remains blank so it is not picking up the distribution list. I haven't been able to set up any e-mail to go BCC to members on a distribution list since Virgin changed their e-mail system. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I've just tried this myself with my blueyonder webmail.

I created a distribution list of 3 email addresses. Called Test list

1. I clicked compose mail

2. I clicked Bcc and Typed Test into the box.  This gave me a number of selections including Test List

3. I selected Test List and each of the 3 addresses in the list was added to the Bcc field.

Incidentally you don't need a To: field.  It will send quite happily with names in the Bcc field only

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Hastypenny
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I've just tried that again and mine doesn't do this. It just copies in the first address into the BCC field - the rest it drops. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Hastypenny

Describe in detail the EXACT sequence you are using.  And what browser etc.

We can't see what you are doing.  I have detailed 2 different ways to insert a BCC list.  Once in this thread, and once here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email-Cloud-and-webspace/New-email-format-and-bcc/m-p/3052912/h...

Both times I've correctly created a list.  For VM to identify what's going on we need precise information so we can try and replicate the problem you are experiencing.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

IMHO, it may also be worth while checking your Address Book for possible duplicates of the distribution list name. To do this go to your Address Book and then:

1. click View (located near top right) and make sure Folder view is ticked
  2. in the Search field (located near top left) type a few characters of the distribution list name and then from the drop down list select the in names option
  3. click on each result name in turn to check the associated email addresses
0 Kudos
Hallelujia
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just picked up this conversation as I have exactly the same issue... I've tried logging in with Chrome and Safari and neither route allows me to use a distrubution list for sending bccs.  Any solutions recommended please?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

When typing the name of the distribution list in the Blind copy (BCC) to field do you see it appear in pop-up below?

0 Kudos