Menu
philgeorge84
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sending Email via Outlook

I use a TalkTalk email address through my Virgin broadband. I receive email fine and used to be able to send up until about 2 weeks ago when any outgoing mail gave me a login error. I have the SMTP settings all configured properly with my VM username and password for authentication and have even changed the password to confirm.

Are Virgin blocking relay of other email addresses now?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sending Email via Outlook

Have you logged into the VM email account within the last 90 days? If not it will have been suspended and therefore no longer be useable to authenticate outgoing email.
philgeorge84
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have logged into my normal account for management etc, is that the same thing?

0 Kudos
philgeorge84
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That was it! Created a new account and it is now working. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You will need to ensure you sign into this new account at least once every 90 days, either via webmail or an email client like outlook, to keep it active.
philgeorge84
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Will do, thanks.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I should point out that if your address is a talktalk one, then TalkTalk have updated their SPF and DMARC policies.

Therefore you should send through their servers rather than Virgin Media's as your mail is likely to end up marked as spam by anyone honouring DMARC

Use Authentication and username and password will be the same as those you use to get your incoming mail.

> set type=txt
> _dmarc.talktalk.net
Server:  cache1.service.virginmedia.net
Address:  194.168.4.100

Non-authoritative answer:
_dmarc.talktalk.net     text =

"v=DMARC1; p=quarantine; fo=1; rua=mailto:4lqgaibx@ag.dmarcian.com; ruf=mailto:4lqgaibx@fr.dmarcian.com;"

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

philgeorge84
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

That's a massive help, thanks! I've updated my SMTP server to send through TalkTalk again, should mean that it just carries on working as well which helps.

0 Kudos