Menu
Poppy12
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Scam Email

Has anyone else had an email supposedly from Virgin saying that your Virgin Media Bill cannot be processed and that in my case the billing details have expired and my service is scheduled for automatic disconnection on the 05 October 2016. There is a link to follow which I have not connected to as I think this is a scam, the message is not finished off in the usual Virgin way and the logo is blurred and it does not reference my account number and area code as previous emails have had so please be aware and don't click on the link.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam Email

Loads - known scam. Look here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Virgin-Media-Phishing-Alerts-03-10-2016/td-p/32...

for example

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Loads - known scam. Look here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Virgin-Media-Phishing-Alerts-03-10-2016/td-p/32...

for example

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
philcdav
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I've just had this email.  It looked odd so I checked it out with VM

Shame they didn't seem to have heard of it.

0 Kudos
dr-john
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

And of course, a quick check via your online banking usually shows that the last payment was made, that the money was taken out your account. But if the payment was due that day or in the immediate future and hadn't gone, then a call to billing would help you as well.

When I got one of these emails recently, I had just logged off from the bank and had seen the payment had gone out the previous week, so I just laughed and deleted it. I did the same thing to the email about the bt account that I don't have as well. And upset the fake support caller who told me my non-existant bt broadband was due for deletion. They hung up when I said go ahead and delete it...

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi All, 

Sounds like typical phishing emails, we have come across a few variants of this email in the past. 

Take a look at What is Phishing? for all the information on how to recognise and what to do if you spot a phishing email Smiley Happy

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos