Menu
peterbt-2001
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 53
Flag for a moderator

SPF authentication for ntlworld.com

I am getting a reject to my sent emails from  symanteccloud.com/troubleshooting  553! What is the procedure to set up SPF on my email (Live mail) domain. Please note I am a complete amateur and am elderly so need simple instructions. Many thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
peterbt-2001
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 53
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SPF authentication for ntlworld.com

Hi and thanks.

Herewith the copy of my last sent email. Please note that their statement does not make clear what they mean by 'postmaster'! Quoting:

'

This is the mail system at host 774447-Major2.conservativewebsites.org.uk.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<***********@parliament.uk>: host
cluster2.eu.messagelabs.com[193.109.255.147] said: 553-SPF (Sender Policy
Framework) domain authentication 553-fail. Refer to the Troubleshooting
page at 553-http://www.symanteccloud.com/troubleshooting for more 553
information. (#5.7.1) (in reply to RCPT TO command)'

Seems all very technical above and not helpful to us elderly. Can you make sense of it and why does not VM authenticate my email address automatically.?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 53
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Right now answer these questions.

1. Are you sending from a VM e-mail address. Are you sending over VM's network

2. How are you sending e-mail. Are you using an e-mail program like Outlook or Windows Live Mail or are you sending via web mail. Web mail is logging in to VM's mail site and sending from there.

3. Is this a copy of a mail that got through to @parliament.uk or is this an original.

4. If you are using an e-mail client please post your outgoing e-mail settings (SMTP settings). Authentication is your responsibility through settings in your client software. Mail sent by web mail is automatically authenticated/doesn't need it.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 37 of 53
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have referred this to the Forum Mods for the team to look at because I wasn't sure what the header was telling me. I've learned something important. The Forum Team can forget this one now.

Solving the issue lies entirely with peterbt-2001 because of the way that TT have now configured their servers to prevent and deter spammers. "peterbt-2001" needs to respond by re-configuring the way he sends mail. Neither of the two issues he has described here and we have dealt with have anything to do with anything wrong at VM or with their systems. The error messages we have seen for both issues are to be expected and completely explicable within existing good ISP practice, server behaviour and user behaviour.

Over to peterbt-2001 now to resolve by a simple change to the settings in his e-mail client. He has the win 10 mail walk through to guide him.

We were happy to help but this became much more complicated than it should have been.

@ravenstar68

@ModTeam

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
peterbt-2001
On our wavelength
Message 41 of 53
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ravenstar68. Thanks I will not comment further as I do wish to upset anyone that may be sensitive! However, I accept that the onus is on me to do something bearing in mind my limited understanding of how things have changed over the years. I have checked my current settings and they show lineone.net server still works to:

Incoming: POP.lineone.net
Outgoing: SMTP.ntleworld.com
Password: Not changed
Authentication: clear text
Name: Lineone

So if I just change:
Outgoing to: SMTP.lineone.net
will it still accept my outgoing messages and allow the new authentication procedure to work satisfactorily?

peterbt-2001
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 53
Flag for a moderator

This is simple. You can't set up any SPF records on VM domains. They are set at domain level by VM, not at individual level by users.

Actually you haven't expressed your question very well. Tell us what is actually happening and we'll try to help. problem is probably nothing to do with SPF.

You did ask to keep it simple!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Post the full error message.  But don't post the first parts of any email address.

553 errors occur for several reasons, only one of which is SPF.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

peterbt-2001
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 53
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi and thanks.

Herewith the copy of my last sent email. Please note that their statement does not make clear what they mean by 'postmaster'! Quoting:

'

This is the mail system at host 774447-Major2.conservativewebsites.org.uk.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<***********@parliament.uk>: host
cluster2.eu.messagelabs.com[193.109.255.147] said: 553-SPF (Sender Policy
Framework) domain authentication 553-fail. Refer to the Troubleshooting
page at 553-http://www.symanteccloud.com/troubleshooting for more 553
information. (#5.7.1) (in reply to RCPT TO command)'

Seems all very technical above and not helpful to us elderly. Can you make sense of it and why does not VM authenticate my email address automatically.?

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 53
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Right now answer these questions.

2. How are you sending e-mail. Are you using an e-mail program like Outlook or Windows Live Mail or are you sending via web mail. Web mail is logging in to VM's mail site and sending from there.

3. Is this a copy of a mail that got through to @parliament.uk or is this an original.

4. If you are using an e-mail client please post your outgoing e-mail settings (SMTP settings). Authentication is your responsibility through settings in your client software. Mail sent by web mail is automatically authenticated/doesn't need it.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
peterbt-2001
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Hi HowardML. Will try to answer your questions but not sure about how things work!

ANS: Yes on domain 'ntlworld.com'.

ANS: Using Windows 10 'Live Mail'.

3. Is this a copy of a mail that got through to @parliament.uk or is this an original
ANS: Its a copy of the 'reject from my Inbox'

ANS: Not certain what you need but I send on '***********@ntlworld.com' but have a retained right to use an old provider known as 'Lineone' for incoming replies free of charge. Is that what you require?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Edit:

ANS: Not certain what you need but I send on '***********@ntlworld.com' but have a retained right to use an old provider known as 'Lineone' for incoming replies free of charge. Is that what you require?

Just spotted the above - I am guessing then that you are sending with your From address as <address>@lineone.net is this correct?

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Just post the bit after the @symbol in the e-mail address - of the address where the original was sent.

Edit - answer ravenstar68's question and this one. 

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
peterbt-2001
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 53
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ravenstar68. I must apologise for confusing you with HowardML on my previous to you. I think that what you want is the suffix to the sent message that presumably is what you mean by a 'Domain name' being 'parliament.uk'? As far as I know it was direct and not 'forwarded'!
HowardML is in the midst of asking me some quite detailed questions. I have sent answers an awaiting his reply. I am sure your contribution will also prove helpful and thanks for your patience.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 53
Flag for a moderator

HowardML is distinctly dischuffed at the moment because you are making multiple posts about the same issue in different threads. Raven and I work together on these issues. He knows more than I do.

And you haven't answered the question - are you sending mail using your "lineone" address as the "from address" in Windows 10 mail.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos