Menu
synetica
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

SORBS blocking emails from our IP address

Hi there

I've seen a similar problem on the message boards, so I know it can be fixed.

Our Virgin Media IP often gets blocked by the SORBS network (www.sorbs.net) when sending emails.

Can someone at VM unblock our IP? Because our IP is dynamic, this could potentially become a pain. Does someone at VM monitor these issues for their customers?

Today, our IP is: 81removed

Is there an easy way I can notify someone when we get blocked again? How long does this normally take?

This is stopping our business from working, so you can understand our frustration.

David

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: SORBS blocking emails from our IP address

synetica wrote:

Hi there

I've seen a similar problem on the message boards, so I know it can be fixed.

Our Virgin Media IP often gets blocked by the SORBS network (www.sorbs.net) when sending emails.

Can someone at VM unblock our IP? Because our IP is dynamic (SORBS DUHL lists DYNAMIC IP's amongst other things.), this could potentially become a pain. Does someone at VM monitor these issues for their customers?

Today, our IP is: 81removed

Is there an easy way I can notify someone when we get blocked again? How long does this normally take?

This is stopping our business from working, so you can understand our frustration.

David

Hi David

If you have a look in my Email FAQ's - more specifically at this post here, you'll see how blacklists work.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/2420093/highlight/true#M12965...

What matters is not your home IP - but the IP address of the mail server that's trying to deliver your mail to the final destination.  Dynamic IP's don't normally host mail servers, so the DUHL and also Spamhaus' PBL list them in order that spammers can't deliver mail from them directly to a recipients inbound mail server.

More information such as the bounce message you are seeing would definitely be helpful.  Please don't post full email addresses on here though, just the bit that comes after the @ symbol.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
synetica
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ravenstar68

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. I think I should give more details to see if we can solve this.

First off, we have an Exchange server here, that routes email via a POP connector to Outlook 365 - pop.outlook.com. It seems as though the email gets our IP added to the email header(?). It's possibly that IP that triggers the rules on the recipients email servers. Although I can't see the offending IP in the headers of the returned message.

Athough we have the 'Business' package, I could not get a fixed IP for our connection. Also, I use our VM hub as a 'modem' connected to our router so I have an ADSL and Fibre connection. So, I think emails get sent via both external facing IP addresses.

In the undeliverable email I get the following (edited):

Sent: XX January 2017
To: <NAME>
Subject: Undeliverable: RE: <SUBJECT>

smtp.company.eu rejected your message to the following e-mail addresses:

<Recipient>

smtp.company.eu gave this error:
Your outgoing mail server 81.xxx.xxx.xxx was found in the SORBS DYNAMIC IP list - which is a public black list. You can check at http://www.sorbs.net

A problem occurred during the delivery of this message to this e-mail address. Try sending this message again. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.

Diagnostic information for administrators:

Generating server: SERVER.mexxxxx.local

<email>
smtp.company.eu #550 Your outgoing mail server 81.xxx.xxx.xxx was found in the SORBS DYNAMIC IP list - which is a public black list. You can check at http://www.sorbs.net ##

Original message headers:

Received: from SERVER.me.local ([fe80::fxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxx]) by
                SERVER.me.local ([fe80::fxx:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx%10]) with mapi id
                14.xx.xxxx.002; xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Thread-Index: AQHSW6634aw/qiuVgbHvgRwk+6afLxjxxxxxxxxxxx=
Date: Tue, xx Jan 2017 19:04:12 +0000
Message-ID: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Accept-Language: en-GB, en-US
Content-Language: en-US
X-MS-Has-Attach: yes
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
x-originating-ip: [80.xxx.xxx.84]
Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="_008_12AA3FCD061CFC4284276898B193C4691982137Fxxxxx_";
        type="multipart/alternative"
MIME-Version: 1.0

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

There are reasons you can't run a mail server on a Dynamic connection.

The domain should specify an MX record which must point to either an A or AAAA record in order for that domain to be able to receive inbound mail.  If the server IP changes then until the A record is updated people aren't going to be able to send you mail.

That said Virgin Media's records are very sticky mine hasn't changed since I started the Hub 3 trial last year.

Surprised to hear that you can't get a Static IP on a business connection.  My understanding was that Virgin do provide for this, you might want to double check with them.

Alternatively you could set the server to relay your outbound mail out through an alternative SMTP service.  (Note I wouldn't recommend Virgin's residential service as this has tight sending limits that aren't suitable for business use).

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
synetica
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi again Ravenstar68

I think the fog is starting to clear. Our Exchange server is doing it's own MX routing (to send email), so this is why I'm getting problems. I'll see if I can do as you say, and use an alternative service.

Email is received OK as it is delivered to separate Outlook 365 boxes, and we harvest it from there to our internal server.

Now I've written this down, I think we need to simplify our systems.

Thanks for the help.
David