Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Fresh as a Daisy
BomberHQ

SMTP server timeout

Hi,

Ive had a virgin.net account for years, but recently have been getting a timeout error sending any email over approx. 100kB in size.

Sending smaller emails works fine, with our without attachments, so I know my settings are correct. The problem is the same with either Outlook or Thunderbird. 

Sending attachments via webmail works ok, so I think the SMTP server is the problem. This is the error message:

"Sending of message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to SMTP server smtp.virginmedia.com timed out. Try again or contact your network administrator."

Any help would be appreciated.

Kevin.

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Steve_Brett

Re: SMTP server timeout

Hi BomberHQ

Please ensure that your antivirus program is not set up to scan outgoing mails. This is the usual cause of this issue.
Kind Regards,

Steve Brett
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
BomberHQ

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried disabling the firewall (Comodo) and Antivirus (MSE) with no effect.

I should also point out other SMTP servers work fine on the same machine / mail client (smtp.googlemail.com and my ISP SMTP server).

My confusion is that the Virgin server is fine with messages <100kB, but times out with messages >100kB ...

Please use plain text.
Usually Always Right
Steve_Brett

Hi BomberHQ

Please could you work through the fixes at these links - http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/sendreceiveerrors.htm

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Connection_errors_-_SMTP

I have been unable to replicate this issue from our testbed machine using both Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail (we don't have outlook installed) I have sent messages over 5mb in size both with and without attachments without being able to replicate this issue.
Kind Regards,

Steve Brett
Help & Support Forum Team

Seen a useful post?Problem Solved?Fault with your service?

Please use plain text.