Menu
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

SMTP server for outgoing e-mail

Does anyone know what the SMTP server is for outgoing e-mails on a Virgin Media connection?

Can this also be used for non virginmedia.com e-mail addresses such as my own domain ?

Thanks in advance

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SMTP server for outgoing e-mail

It is OK, I've answered my own question.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

The SMTP (Outgoing) server is smtp.virginmedia.com and if you are using it to send e-mails from a non-virgin domain name, you need to use a virgin e-mail account for authentication purposes.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would like to revisit this thread and point out that the OP's answer to his own question is wrong in some respects.

The OP asked what SMTP server should I use when on a Virgin Media connection.  The link he gave was regarding what SMTP server to use when sending for Virgin Media DOMAINS - which is a different question altogether.

The reason I stress this is that email providers are starting to tighten the reins on email sending.

Some good examples of this are Yahoo and AOL.

If you send email for those domains via smtp.virginmedia.com it WILL be rejected by the receiving party.  This is because they have put mechanisms in place that

1. Tell the receiving email servers which mail servers their mail come from. and more significantly
2. Tell the receiving email servers to REJECT mail that does not come from those servers.

TalkTalk has something similar in place for their domains. but with a quarantine policy instead.

This is why I specifically said there is no preferred SMTP server when on a Virgin Media internet connection, and I stand by that answer.

Note it is true that if you have your own domain, you can use smtp.virginmedia.com to send your mail, but if you do have your own domain, you should ideally be using a hosted solution that has it's own SMTP servers anyway.

Some people have mail forwarding enabled at the registrar which means that mail sent to their domain is forwarded to a free email provider.  The changes outlined above means that senders from Yahoo and AOL domains sending to such users are likely to see increasing problems with delivery unless the forwarders take steps to address this.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

There is no preferred smtp server you are required to use when on a Virgin Media connection.

You should always use the smtp server recommended by your email host.  You do have a hosted solution for your domain instead of relying on email forwarding I hope.

Ravenstar68

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

No, I'm not forwarding e-mail.  I've always used the ISP's SMTP server for outgoing e-mails.  With my BT connection this was mail.btinternet.com for the SMTP (Outgoing) server.

I assume Virgin Media have one such as mail.virginmedia.com ?

-

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is OK, I've answered my own question.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

The SMTP (Outgoing) server is smtp.virginmedia.com and if you are using it to send e-mails from a non-virgin domain name, you need to use a virgin e-mail account for authentication purposes.

-

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

That may well work, but as Ravenstar68 has already said you would be better served by using your email host SMTP server.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

There are 2 caveats.

1. You must check the inbox for the Virgin Media email address you are using to authenticate with at least once every 90 days.  If you fail to do so, the account will be locked out and you will need to contact Virgin to have the lockout removed.  Failure to contact Virgin after a further 60 days will result in the email account being deleted.

2. Google is currently operating a system whereby if a mail is sent to them from servers belonging to a different domain then the senders email address it makes recipients aware by modifying the From: line to read From: address@<yourdomain> via <serverdomain>  So you'll need to set up an SPF record for your domain.

Note most paid hosting solutions come with their own smtp servers - for example I host one domain with Zoho Mail and use their smtp servers.  The other is hosted with Google and for that domain I use Google's smtp servers.  I would not recommend Virgin's outbound relays for anyone.  Particularly as they have tight sending limits to avoid abuse by spammers.

Tim

Edit: Make sure you are using the following settings.for outgoing.

Host: smtp.virginmedia.com
Port: 465
SSL: On
Authentication - Enabled - On Apple devices use Authentication type Password.
Username: Your virginmedia.com email address
Password: Your virginmedia.com email password

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would like to revisit this thread and point out that the OP's answer to his own question is wrong in some respects.

The OP asked what SMTP server should I use when on a Virgin Media connection.  The link he gave was regarding what SMTP server to use when sending for Virgin Media DOMAINS - which is a different question altogether.

The reason I stress this is that email providers are starting to tighten the reins on email sending.

Some good examples of this are Yahoo and AOL.

If you send email for those domains via smtp.virginmedia.com it WILL be rejected by the receiving party.  This is because they have put mechanisms in place that

1. Tell the receiving email servers which mail servers their mail come from. and more significantly
2. Tell the receiving email servers to REJECT mail that does not come from those servers.

TalkTalk has something similar in place for their domains. but with a quarantine policy instead.

This is why I specifically said there is no preferred SMTP server when on a Virgin Media internet connection, and I stand by that answer.

Note it is true that if you have your own domain, you can use smtp.virginmedia.com to send your mail, but if you do have your own domain, you should ideally be using a hosted solution that has it's own SMTP servers anyway.

Some people have mail forwarding enabled at the registrar which means that mail sent to their domain is forwarded to a free email provider.  The changes outlined above means that senders from Yahoo and AOL domains sending to such users are likely to see increasing problems with delivery unless the forwarders take steps to address this.

Tim

backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the clarification.

For a number of years I have been using my ISP's outgoing SMTP server for e-mails from my own domain name which is hosted by Google (Apps).  I'm not entirely sure why, but this is the way I have always done it and never had a problem before.

I see that Google have their own SMTP servers so have switched to those instead now.  Again, I'm not sure why I never used them in the first place.

Thanks again

-

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

To be honest I think some of it stems from the way email used to be.  There were some free providers, that while providing inbound mail via pop3, used to advise that you send outbound mail via your internet providers SMTP service.  

Over time this has become accepted wisdom for many people.  

But this was in the earlier days of the Internet and things have very much moved on since.  There are very few email services out there that don't provide SMTP servers, (although a few do still exist, I'm looking at you - Which.net).

Tim

0 Kudos
johnishappy
Joining in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I am still struggling with this issue.  i am on virginmedia server in UK and friends have come from australia.  can access wifi, but when using account bigpond.com from iphone or ipdad devices and mail app - they continue to get a message saying that the server does not recognise account.  

We have tried to change the smtp to smtp.virginmedia.com as an alternative but this still does not resolve the issue?

Any other suggestions?

0 Kudos