Menu
paulrosenyork
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

SMTP server for Apple Mac with non-Virgin email account?

Hi.  We've just switched to Virgin Media, and have had some problems getting a non-Virgin POP email account set up to send.  I have always been able to send out from this account, with any ISP (we've had several over the years), by putting the ISP's SMTP server into my outgoing mail settings.  I managed to do this for my PC via a 45 minute phone call to Virgin support, but still can't make it work for an Apple Mac - does anybody have any ideas?  Nobody I speak to at Virgin seems to know anything about this.  The PC is working with smtp.ntlworld.com, but the problem is probably with the port number or some of the checkbox settings on the Mac.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SMTP server for Apple Mac with non-Virgin email account?

Ideally you should use the smtp server provided by your email supplier.  If that is not possible then you could use the virginmedia.com server but you will have to use your virginmedia email address to authenticate the sending.  The smtp settings are:

SMTP server name

smtp.virginmedia.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port

SMTP authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

SMTP username

Full email address, e.g., richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ideally you should use the smtp server provided by your email supplier.  If that is not possible then you could use the virginmedia.com server but you will have to use your virginmedia email address to authenticate the sending.  The smtp settings are:

SMTP server name

smtp.virginmedia.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port

SMTP authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

SMTP username

Full email address, e.g., richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

paulrosenyork
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Thanks - you truly are a super user.  4 hours of faffing about with Virgin customer services and nobody suggested that.  We've successfully used the SMTP server of every ISP we've had, and not the email supplier's one.  Unfortunately my wife has now deafened me by screaming happily in my ear.

Paul

0 Kudos