Menu
piperking
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

SMTP send errors since Friday

I am unable to send emails from my virginmedia account via PC or Phone since Friday. Outlook reports unable to connect to the SMTP server. I can send from the virgin webclient. All settings are correct as they were working fine until Friday.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP send errors since Friday

Hello piperking

Sorry you are having problems connecting to our SMTP server, I wonder what is going on. Is it working now, sometimes I have seen Outlook or even security PC software update cause it, are you able to traceroute to it. We will be happy to check the email address for you just to be sure, I will send you a forum private message to gather it.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
piperking
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Have sent you the requested info.

Not an outlook or security update issue as it stopped working on the PC outlook client and the Android phone at the same time. I suspect a VM issue rejecting my connections.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Piperking

I've just attempted connections to all four Virgin Media smtp servers over port 465 SSL and they've all responded.  So it's not a general server failure.

Can you try running a tracert to the SMTP server you are using?

Also could you post the FULL error message reported by Outlook including any error codes, (leave the first part of any email addresses out though).

Thanks

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi piperking,

I hope you don't mind me replying on Nicola's behalf as she won't be back in work until Wednesday, so I'm keeping an eye on some of her PM's for her.

I've checked your email address and it's looking healthy on our systems. The SMTP logs for the 10th of this month show mail delivered without issue up to 13:17. After that there is nothing so I'd like you to please ensure the SMTP settings are as below:

Sending mail (SMTP)

• SMTP server name = smtp.virginmedia.com
  • SMTP SSL = Enabled
  • SMTP port = 465
  • SMTP authentication = Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)
  • SMTP username = Full email address

Next would you please try using a different client, such as Thunderbird (or any other client of your choice)?

I'd like to know if the issue is specific to Outlook or not.  Also please follow ravenstar's advice (message 4). Once you've posted back we'll see what we can do for you Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos