Menu
cazshie
Tuning in
Message 1 of 44
Flag for a moderator

SMTP outgoing mail problem

Since 1pm on Thursday I have not been able to send emails out using blueyonder SMTP. Spent nearly 2 hours with "tech support" in India and basically just told to reset password, delete accounts in email clients, add accounts. Worked briefly for a time yesterday when I disabled SSL but not working again now.

Treated like I was stupid by Tech Support, when it was clearly a blueyonder issue as Microsoft Outlook, Thunderbird and my iPhone all had the same problem at the same time.

Is anyone able to help, or explain what the problem might be?
0 Kudos
bjhallam
Tuning in
Message 2 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP outgoing mail problem

My daughter and I have the same problem, which started on Friday evening. We both have blueyonder aliases, dating back to the very earliest days of Telewest. We both use Outlook as our main email clients, but it is also not working in Mail - I keep getting a message from Mail telling me my blueyonder settings are out of date - or on my Android phone. My husband, who has the primary blueyonder address, is having no problems, but neither of us can send, although we are receiving incoming email. I have been on the Forum and tried different ideas there to fix the problem without success.

What has happened? Is this the same issue that NTL users were experiencing in March? Why am I unable to see any of our blueyonder aliases to change passwords? If the authentication process has changed, why has VM not sent out a notice to blueyonder email holders to tell us what to do?

Can anyone suggest a solution, other than changing the password, deleting the account and resetting it up, verifying that the SMPT settings are correct, all of which I have tried.

0 Kudos
cazshie
Tuning in
Message 3 of 44
Flag for a moderator

I managed to get primary email working by removing Secure Password Authentication and also removing My Server Requires Authentication on Servers Properties.

Still unable to send by SMTP from my phone though, even after deleting account and restarting
0 Kudos
bjhallam
Tuning in
Message 4 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Cazshie. As I said, the primary email address, which is my husband's, is still working. It is only the aliases that aren't. I did not have Secure Password Authentication ticked, but I have tried removing My Server Requires Authentication in my Outlook settings, and it worked!! My test email sent. But like you, have been unable to replicate this on my phone or Windows 10 netbook. Will have to look at those again and see if I can figure out how to do it. It does seem to confirm that like with NTL in March, VM have changed the authentication process for Blueyonder emails without telling anyone.

0 Kudos
bjhallam
Tuning in
Message 5 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Have now managed to fix my phone - went to Outgoing server settings in my email settings and turned off "Require sign-in". I can now send from both my phone and Outlook, so I think I will give up on Mail, which I don't like anyway.

Thanks for letting me know your solution, it was a great help.

0 Kudos
cazshie
Tuning in
Message 6 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately my phone doesn't give the sign in option so I am stuck.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 44
Flag for a moderator

The problem with doing that is that you will only be able to send when connected to the Virgin network.  If you try to send when on 3g or a Wifi hotspot, the send will fail.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
bjhallam
Tuning in
Message 8 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Ah. That will be a bit of a nuisance, but thanks for letting us know: I think it is a small price to pay given the option is either to not be able to send email at all or have to change provider.

Unless you can suggest another solution?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 44
Flag for a moderator

My thoughts aren't that Virgin haven't in themselves changed the authentication process.  HOWEVER I did come across a similar issue.  Working with the poster I got him to enable logging in Outlook so we can see exactly what happens when he tries to send a mail.  Obviously you'd need to re-enable authentication first.

See here:- 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Outlook-2010-SMTP-issues-with-email/m-p/3229515/highl...

Similarly Thunderbird allows you to log specific protocols.  Although initially setting this up seems a bit daunting I've written a bat file to start Thunderbird with SMTP logging enabled

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Password-Auth-Failed-using-Thunderbird-3-email-software/m-...

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
cazshie
Tuning in
Message 10 of 44
Flag for a moderator

Are you able to provide a solution regarding the inability to send emails via smtp on my iphone (5s)?

0 Kudos