Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Emerging Talent
jonnyupton

Remove [Gmail] Folder Subscription when using IMAP in Outlook 2010

Hi,

I've recently decided to change my ntlworld mailbox access from POP3 to IMAP4, and it's all working fine apart from the additional [Gmail] folder that has appeared in the mailbox file structure in Outlook.

I've had a look at some other message threads which suggest that there is no way to remove this, however, is this really the case?

A solution would be to use recent: and POP3 still, however IMAP4 is the 'better' solution, apart from this [Gmail] folder issue.

If someone could get back to me, that would be great.

[It would seem that a solution has been found for mac users : http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10899668&#10899668
Could this be translated to a solution for Outlook users?]

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
slated

Re: Remove [Gmail] Folder Subscription when using IMAP in Outlook 2010

here is the dialog box you are looking for. If you put the original blueyonder mailbox name (something like ab123c4567_2@blueyonder.co.uk) corresponding with the email address in question, then the [Google Mail] thing vanishes. However, all you then get is access to the inbox, none of the webmail folders, so you might as well use POP3.

What's the problem with [Google Mail] ?

Capture.JPG

Emerging Talent
jonnyupton

Re: Remove [Gmail] Folder Subscription when using IMAP in Outlook 2010

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply - that looks like it would solve my issue.

Where would I find the orignal (ntlworld in my case I presume) mailbox name?

I'd like to use IMAP4 so that I can download emails to multiple clients (Outlook, my phone, and Windows Live Hotmail) but ideally I don't want the 30 day limitation that POP3 with 'recent:' provides.

I suppose there's nothing 'wrong' with the [Gmail] folder, it's just I'd prefer to use the file structure that I'm used to in Outlook when using POP3.

Thanks

Please use plain text.