Menu
ted_voices
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Recently unable to send email on ntlworld IMAP account

Hi

I have an on-going problem now for several months but no time previously to remedy it.

Webmail works fine. However, using Windows Live Mail on Windows 10 I am unable to send any emails. Often I can receive them but sometimes I receive a popup asking me to re-enter username and password which I do and am certain they are correct as they work for webmail (and indeed sometimes work via WLM).

The settings for the account are:-

Incoming server settings

User name: myname@ntlworld.com

Password: mypassword

IMAP server: imap.ntlworld.com

Port: 993

Security type: SSL

Outgoing server settings

SMTP server: smtp.virginmedia.com

Port: 465

Security type: SSL

Require sign-in: Ticked

User name: myname@ntlworld.com

Password: mypassword

I've trawled the forum but the advice seems to be check the account settings which I believe are correct, change the account password which I tried but no improvement.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards, Neil

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recently unable to send email on ntlworld IMAP account

Hello Neil

Welcome to our community I wonder what is going on with your email address. Is it the same one that you have registered on this forum? If so SMTP/IMAP/POP3 checks seem to be working. Our SMTP logs for the last couple of days show no attempted logins. I have known PC security suites to cause problems with email clients in the past so perhaps for diagnostic purposes worth trying a boot into safe mode with networking although please be aware of reduced security considerations.

Something else to think about is trying another client such as Thunderbird If that works you may decide to keep it or at the very least you will know the email account works, the settings may be found here Using Virgin Media Mail with Mail Clients

Please keep us updated.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
ted_voices
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No, it is not the same email address as registered as the one with the problem doesn't work reliably so I probably couldn't have completed the registration using it! SHould I provide the actually email address here?

I have tried disabling Avast anitvirus and I have tried using Windows 10 Mail instead of Windows Live Mail. The problem is not resolved.

Regards,

Neil

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Neil

Thanks for getting back, I will send you a forum private message for more information, please reply when you have moment.

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
ted_voices
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks. N
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello Neil

Thanks so much for getting back with the correct email address. It does seem to be faulty on one of our servers, I have asked our IT team to take a look ref P007774360. Once we hear back we will update you (normally about a week).

Thank you for your patience

Nicola

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
timturtles
Just joined
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

hi Nicola... I'm having similar issues with two ntlworld.com email addresses.  Can be accessed via webmail fine, but pop/imap clients are all throwing 'your settings are out of date' errors.

The accounts are active, and part of a paid-for service from VM.  Is this a known server problem which is being fixed?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hello timturtles

Welcome to our forum. Sorry you are having problems with a couple of email addresses, we will happily take a look.

The problem with ted_voices mailbox is not a general issue it was just specific to theirs. 

I will send you a forum private message to gather some information, please reply when you have a minute.

Many thanks

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@ted_voices

Morning Neil

That email address should hopefully be working now, please can you give it a try and let us know.

Thanks so much

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos