Menu
MagicBoy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: ntlworld email sign in problems

I've not been able to get on for the last 24 hours, and I'm now getting phone calls from annoyed parents saying their ntlworld.com emails aren't working either.

Mail apps are unhappy with various error messages, and I can't get to webmail. It states the account details are wrong then gets stuck in some sort of captcha hell after a few failed attempts.

They're legacy accounts as the parents moved to a non-Virgin area, so I can't get through to any service status pages as there's no valid account...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

MagicBoy wrote:

I've not been able to get on for the last 24 hours, and I'm now getting phone calls from annoyed parents saying their ntlworld.com emails aren't working either.

Mail apps are unhappy with various error messages, and I can't get to webmail. It states the account details are wrong then gets stuck in some sort of captcha hell after a few failed attempts.

They're legacy accounts as the parents moved to a non-Virgin area, so I can't get through to any service status pages as there's no valid account...

A valid VM broadband account is a requirement to keep the email accounts operating.  If your parents don't have an account anymore then the chances are the email accounts have now been closed.

MagicBoy
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I thought they only dropped off after 90 days of inactivity? These accounts are in daily use, and have been for over 15 years.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

MagicBoy wrote:

I thought they only dropped off after 90 days of inactivity? These accounts are in daily use, and have been for over 15 years.

They are also supposed to cease 90 days after you stop being a broadband customer.  Some have gone on beyond that period, particularly if they were originally attached to a dial up account. VM do periodic data clearance exercises to sweep up such orphaned accounts.  If you want a definitive answer ring them up - ignore all the automated requests for account numbers etc and just hold on until you get through to a person.

MagicBoy
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yeah, we're years past 90 days.

Oddly IMAP on the iOS devices is still working. POP via Outlook and the Web Interface both appear to have amnesia.

0 Kudos