Menu
Alwynanne22
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Problems with email

Can anyone please tell me why my emails score a line through instead of deleting?  I have 92 spam emails that won't delete!

Thank you

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems with email

Alwynanne22 wrote:

Can anyone please tell me why my emails score a line through instead of deleting?  I have 92 spam emails that won't delete!

Thank you

In brief it is to do with the way your email client is set up when connecting via the IMAP protocol.  Look for a setting along the lines purge when exiting or purge when changing folders whilst on line.

If you have got emails scored through in webmail use the clean up option for the drop down menu when right clicking on the relevant folder.

Alwynanne22
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your help Graham.  Not sure what a lines purge is?  I use Outlook and it has never been right since joining Virgin.  I used to be with BT and my old settings are still there from BT eg. inbox, outbox, sent etc. although I have deleted my BT address!  My emails are scored though on webmail also!  Virgin told me to set up my virgin email underneath my BT one..............could that be the problem?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Under 'Account settings' for the Virgin Media account in Outlook select the 'More Settings' option and click on the 'Deleted Items' tab.  Make sure there is a tick in the bottom box as per this screenshot:

purge.PNG

As I posted earlier you can get rid of the emails scored through in webmail by right clicking on the folder and selecting 'Clean up' from the drop down menu that appears.

Alwynanne22
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Ii have managed to delete the spam and trash emails under the webmail as you suggested Graham, thank you.

But re the Account Settings, there is no box saying "more settings" but there is a "deleted items! under items on the left but there is nothing in it!.............I bet you are sorry you answered my query!! 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can you let us know what version of Outlook you are using?

Alwynanne22
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I can't seem to find out what version it is but I think it might be quite old.  It does say there is a compatibility issue and it may not work correctly and that I should upgrade!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

This web article may help you. https://www.lifewire.com/purge-deleted-messages-from-imap-outlook-1173703

Note this link isn't a Virgin Media help page.
Alwynanne22
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thank you, will have a look
0 Kudos