Menu
Wightpants
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Problems sending emails

For the last two days I have been unable to send emails from my blueyonder account using Thunderbird. I tried sending a mail using the web app yesterday but that wouldn't work either. I have just tried again on the web app and it appears to have worked, but still does not work on Thunderbird. I just get a 'Login to server smtp.blueyonder.co.uk failed' message. I have tried changing the outgoing server to smtp.virginmedia.co.uk but that doesn't work either.

Outgoing server settings:

Server: smtp.blueyonder.co.uk
Port: 465
Connection sec: SSL/TLS
Authentication method: Normal password
User Name: ~my.address@blueyonder.co.uk~

Thanks in advance for any help,

Wightpants.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Problems sending emails

Morning @Wightpants

We have hopefully found the problem with your mailbox, please would you give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Try changing the server to one with the correct name - smtp.virginmedia.com

Post back if that doesn't work. There may be an issue which is easily solved

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Wightpants
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Oops! Changed that to smtp.virginmedia.com - still exactly the same problem.

smtp.blueyonder.co.uk has worked fine for the last couple of years or so, I hadn't changed anything before it stopped working.

Thanks,
Wightpants.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Things to try.  I assume that you can still receive mail through web mail and T'bird.

Do a password reset - go into My VM and change the account password for the relevant account - or rather use the same password. should force a password reset across the VM servers that hold these details. The fact you can get into web mail suggests the servers have got out of sync. Retest T'bird.

I think this is the likely answer

Then read this thread:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Re-SMTP-outgoing-mail-problem-525-VM304-error/td-p/3235420

Are you by any chance using VM to send e-mails through it's SMTP servers authenticating by using a VM e-mail address that you haven't actually visited for the last 90 days?  You receive e-mails but not using the VM POP/IMAP servers - forwarding for example? There have been a spate of these issues in the last few days to which this thread gives the most plausible solution. Bit of a long shot by me but worth considering.

Otherwise wait here for more help from others.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Wightpants
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Howard, but no joy.

I've reset my password, but the problem persists with both the blueyonder and virginmedia smtp servers.

I receive my emails on Thunderbird using the pop servers, not forwarding. I've also been on the account on the web app in the last couple of days.

I've also tried sending a mail from AquaMail on my android phone, but get the following error message: "525 Authentication Denied (VM304)"

Thanks,
Wightpants.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I think I'll flag this for the Forum Team member who is handling this error message. But I have no doubt that one of the other Superusers will be along soon to offer more help.

@Jen_A another 525/VM304 error?

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to raise this thread behind the scenes.  In some cases it looks like the 304 errors may be justified.  In cases like your, there is a question mark as your email account is apparently live.  Can you double check that you can still get into Webmail on this account?  While I appreciate you've been on in the last couple of days.  I'd like to confirm that this is definitely still working for you today.

@Nicola_C Can you take a look at this please.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Wightpants
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Yes, I've just logged into and successfully sent a mail using the web app. But still getting the error with Thunderbird and AquaMail.

Thanks,
Wightpants.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.

One of the Forum Team should get to this but may take a while for them to do so.  I have flagged this directly to one of the Forum Team members who has worked with a similar issue.  This will most likely have to be escalated to find out what is going on.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the prompt Tim!

Hello Wightpants

I am sorry you are having problems sending email VM304, we would like to help and investigate further. I will send you a PM to gather some more information.

Speak shortly

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos