Menu
Gorgon
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Problems receiving mail from gmail

In addition to the usual problems of difficulties logging in, of emails to tiscali bouncing back after four and five days, etc., I now discover that emails from Gmail are not getting through to my blueyonder account. Is this a new issue for Virgin, or has it been going on for some time?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems receiving mail from gmail

If mail isn't getting through you must do your best to get a copy of any bounce messages received by the sender so we can see what is going on. Some time ago we were told that VM no longer rate limits e-mail from GMail servers. So your description does not help us diagnose further. One thing you might try is this, if your spam settings are not already set this way - just to be on the safe side:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ravenstar-s-Email-FAQ-s/m-p/3026118#M129705

And while it is right to excoriate VM for their problems with this platform please remember that the problem with Tiscali and TT addresses is completely down to TT to solve. They are doing the rate limiting not VM. It is not technically a VM issue.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Gorgon
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Ravenstar for your speedy reply. My spam settings are as advised. I haven't got any bounce messages from gmail, as the posts have just disappeared - not turned up in my blueyonder box and not returned (yet) as undeliverable. Perhaps in five days something will appear somewhere...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You are confusing your Superusers. I'll take it as a back-handed compliment. You won't get the bounce messages. The sender will.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Gorgon
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Dear Howard,

Sorry about the confusion about your identity. I can send emails from my blueyonder account to my gmail account, but emails from my gmail account don't appear in my blueyonder inbox. As, in this instance, I am both sender and receiver, I expect a bounce message to appear in my gmail inbox eventually. I will let the forum know what it says if and when (and where) it arrives

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Have you checked your Spam folder in webmail?

Edit - I've sent a couple of mails, one from my Google Apps and one from a consumer Gmail account to my blueyonder address.  Both landed in my inbox immediately.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Gorgon
Joining in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ravenstar,

Just sent another email from gmail to blueyonder and it arrived instantly. Most odd.  Just left with the Tiscali issue - and the inordinate amount  spent trying to log it - to be resolved.

Thanks for the replies.

0 Kudos