Menu
dotmailer
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Problems delivering to Virgin domains

Hello,

I am the Chief Privacy Officer at dotmailer, an email service provider.  I am responsible for the organizations email deliverability team as well.  I've been made aware of  significant issues delivering to Virgin Media domains, specifically ntlworld.com.  We are seeing a lot of the following error:

smtp;421 mx2.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp ...rejected (flowcontrol r)

Our teams have reached out to postmaster@ as well as abuse@ for quite some time, but have not managed to connect with anyone to help resolve the issue.  I am hoping someone here can help out with this.  We take compliance and anti-abuse very seriously at dotmailer and would like to resolve any issues.  As we do not have an FBL with any Virgin domains, I would like to work with the abuse desk folks directly to get things fixed and keep bad actors from using our platform.

Thank you,
James Koons

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems delivering to Virgin domains

Welcome to the forum.

The starting point is to look at two 'sticky' posts at the top of this forum.  The first is aimed at senders having issues: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email-Cloud-and-webspace/Spam-Content-Found-error-message/m-p/30...

The second is aim at VM customers, with advice about how the spam filter default settings: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email-Cloud-and-webspace/Non-Delivery-of-emails-to-Virgin-Custom...

If, having followed the advice, the issues continue then post back in this thread and the Forum Team staff will pick up on it in a day or so. 

Just so you are aware of the status of posters on these forums it is worth taking a look at this page: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/custom/page/page-id/WelcomeGoodFolk

dotmailer
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello Graham,

Thank you for the quick reply and I appreciate the poster's status link, that will be helpful!  I've looked at the other two links you provided and we've not really seen problems with spam content or issues with the receiver end.  We've actually had VM recipients contacting our clients saying that their email is missing (not in the spam folder and not in the inbox), although the emails were sent via our platform.

Also, we follow the posted best practices which can be found here:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=3250&CURRENT_C...

It would be great if someone from the forum could look in to this a bit closer.  Out of all the receivers we send to (thousands), it seems that VM domains are our biggest problem area and I'd like to see what we can do to make sure we're following all the best practices (including sending cadence, email list hygiene, abuse complaint handling/bounce handling and MTA settings).

Again, thank you and I am looking forward to making some progress on this.

James

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The forum team will get to the thread, unfortunately with this being a Community Forum it can take them a few days.

Looking at your log entry though I do find thins interesting.

smtp;421

Which is if I understand correctly Virgins MX server sending back a 421 temporary error code.  Are you able to extract the full 421 error from the logs? (Minus any email address of course).

Ravenstar68

Edit Just checked, 421 Error code is too many concurrent connections.  Meaning your server will queue the mail and try later. (Apologies if I'm teaching you to suck eggs here).

@ForumTeam Can you take a look?  A well behaved server shouldn't be sending out too many of these.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

dotmailer
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hello @Ravenstar68!

Thank you for the response.  Yes, the 421 would seem that we have too many connections, but we've significantly reduced the number of outbound SMTP connections (basically the lowest I've seen for outbound email without having clients complain about delivery delays).  We also have our MTA configured to enter into "backoff mode" when it sees these strings, so I am somewhat baffled.    

And, no worries on teaching me to suck eggs Smiley Happy, by reading the posts on this forum it looks like you could all run circles around me!  I love it and I like to learn - seems like this is the right place for that!

James

Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi James,

Looks like you've had a warm welcome from Graham_A and ravenstar68, have to agree these guys really know their stuff.

I'll drop you a PM for a few more details around why you're have delivery problems to Virgin domains and we can investigate what's going on.

Many Thanks

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
somates
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It would be more helpful is you provided public information on this. I too am getting these all the time. It seems VM can't cope. E.g.

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.
A message that you sent has not yet been delivered to one or more of its
recipients after more than 4 hours on the queue on bosmailout02.eigbox.net.

The message identifier is:     1aiPHB-00053s-VU
The subject of the message is: Fwd: Re: ***************
The date of the message is:    Tue, 22 Mar 2016 16:35:22 +0000

The address to which the message has not yet been delivered is:

****@blueyonder.co.uk
    Delay reason: SMTP error from remote mail server after initial connection:
    host mx.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net [212.54.58.11]:
    421 mx8.mnd.ukmail.iss.as9143.net bizsmtp Too many simultaneous sessions

I am getting about 2 or three of these a week on my meagre inbox alone. It is likely that many of us are suffering from this, as it seems your accept_max_value is too low, or you are poorly configured. Please could you tell us all what _you_ are doing to fix this.

Thanks

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
netfactors
Joining in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi

Has anybody got to the bottom of this? Or managed to get a private message from anyone? I also posted to this:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/One-of-your-hosting-companys-mx-mnd-ukmail-iss-as9143-net-...

a few days ago and still no response from anyone!

0 Kudos
keat63
Dialled in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

For at least a week to 10 days, I've been receiving messages: "closed connection in response to EHLO"

As my SMTP server performs it's retry,  this is then followed up by "Too many simultaneous connections"

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Emails-to-virgin-net-ntlworld-com-and-virginmedia-com-addr...

It seems that the VM servers have some sort of very aggressive spam filtering, followed by, just as aggressive grey listing or rate limiting, rendering the servers all but useless.

If you scan through the posts, you'll see end users complaining of not receiving email, and server admins complaining of not being able to send.

Don't hold your breath I'm afraid, I've been pulling my hair out here and got absolutely no where.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi netfactors, 

I'm sorry to see you have been having trouble with your emails. 

Please pop across the headers and/or error messages of the emails affected via PM and I will take a further look into this for you. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos