Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21 (621 Views)

Problem with virgin.net e-mail

I've had problems with my virgin.net email on webmail since it was moved over from GMail (which worked fine for me) and have previously posted on here about them.

But over the last eight weeks it has been worse :-

not able to log in or it gets stuck at 'Loading', which is sometimes rectified by closing the page and trying again;

emails not being received;

emails in inbox and other folders sometimes disappear then return if I log out and in again;

emails I've deleted returning, others deleted without me doing so;

saved drafts not saving the message text.

I access my email and encounter these problems across 4 different devices and browsers so am sure it's not a device issue.

I phoned VM 3 weeks ago and was told there was a fault with the server but that it would be fixed within 48 hrs. 

I called again yesterday and this time was told that wemail is not really set up to handle virgin.net and that the server is operated by Talk Talk and has been for about 4 months. He advised me to contact them and obtain outgoing and incoming server names and port in and out details. I can just imagine how successful that phone call will go.

Like other people, I don't wish to change my email address but am seriously thinking I'll have to in order to get a system that works properly.

Poor from VM.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 2 of 21 (601 Views)

Re: Problem with virgin.net e-mail

@ModTeam

I'm going to start by drawing attention to the fact that yet again 1st line support are feeding users erroneous information.

Whoever told @gwb67 that TalkTalk runs Virgin.net needs to get their facts straight.  I'll go one further.  It's important that all the 1st line support teams are correctly briefed on what exactly talktalk's current involvement with virgin.net email addresses is.  That is NONE, since all ADSL customers who were migrated to talktalk should have had their old Virgin Media email addresses closed by now.

The current email system was designed to handle all four email domains.  virgin.net was the last domain to be migrated across in December 2015, so claims from offshore that it's not built to handle virgin.net email addresses are just plain wrong.

Also I note that the first time he called he was told the issues would be fixed in 48 hours.  I am tired of 1st line either

a) Making up fix dates as they go along; or 
b) Quoting Estimated Fix Dates as actual fix dates.

This too needs addressing urgently.

The current issues aren't just experienced by uses of virgin.net.  They are being experienced across all four domains.

I still access my blueyonder address via webmail, primarily through Google Chrome, as well as email clients such as Outlook and Thunderbird.

Here's what I find as well.

1. On occasion Chrome allows me to sign in but takes too long to load the mail platform, leading to a page stating Connection error - please retry.
2. Occasionally Chrome will drop the https padlock and report the site as potentially unsafe.  This appears related to the same issue in (1.) as checking the cause of the error shows the page attempted to redirect to http://redirects.virginmedia.com 

The redirect is blocked because it's not to a https resource.  But http://redirects.virginmedia.com appears to crop up when there is an issue loading one or more resources from the webmail platform as it is quite clearly an error page

redirects.JPG

3. It's impossible to forward spam mails to reporting addresses for example spoof@paypal.com as although the inbound spam filters let the dratted things in, the outbound spam filters block an attempt to send it unless you do some arcane magick such as changing the extension to something that's not seen as an email or text file.  I highlighted this shortly after the platform went live, and am disappointed to see that this is still the case.

These deficiencies need addressing ASAP - I'm not going to wait nearly another year for you to get round sorting these.  Your customers deserve better.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Message 3 of 21 (588 Views)

I am going to add my voice to @ravenstar68 's response to this post; if to do nothing more than show the OP that we do care and while we want to help we don't have that power within our gift - only VM does. 

The e-mail platform is riddled with inconsistent operation and error. It is plainly not good enough. It needs fixing and fixing quick. It is only a web mail platform and there are plenty of examples out there of such platforms which do work much better. They are not trouble free but they are largely less troublesome than this one is and they serve even more users than this one does. . 

Why oh why do we put up with a E-mail board that is constantly inundated with the same query over and over again? It is debilitating to be constantly answering the same issues. I know we constantly say that only customers with problems come here and then bleat and moan. That is true but it overlooks the fact that a string of anecdotes provides real evidence of underlying issues. While one swallow doesn't make a summer a large flock of them might provide a clue to what is going on.

But what disturbs me even more is the appalling performance of first line telephone support and the drivel which is meted out to your paying customers. Your Executive Director of Customer Service must be aware of how poor it is; or is he only concerned that the performance data shows the majority of calls are answered and cleared within a few minutes.  a case of never mind the quality feel the width. Some of us know enough not to use it.

I'm not usually belligerent enough to go public like this. But really , enough is enough.

@ModTeam 

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.
Tuning in
Message 4 of 21 (571 Views)

Thanks for the replies and sorry to drag up this issue again. I guess I was naive to think VM were actually fixing it. 

I also do often get the technical issue page you posted. I forgot to add in my initial post that I also get a message pop up at the bottom of the webmail screen of 'Server Unreachable'. 

As an aside, I regularly email photographs to an editor, which now takes much longer to do on this system compared to when it was GMail.

Ironically when I created this post, I ticked 'Email me if someone replies' and true to course, no email received when people do!

Get it sorted virgin or if you can't, move it back to GMail.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 5 of 21 (566 Views)

Stop with the Gmail stuff already - Google unilaterally closed their service to ISPs which is why VM had to move away from it! And the Google apps for ISP product had just as many faults as does this system , only they were different faults but just as irritating. There has been no halcyon past.

The server unreachable error is also a symptom of the problem which we describe. It is not something different.

The Forum e-mail system normally sends the notification sometime after any replies are made. It is not instantaneous. So you are seeing nothing unusual here. You have to watch the thread itself.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 21 (559 Views)

I just found from my experience that GMail worked a whole lot better than the current system. I was unaware why VM had to stop using it as we're not all technically minded.

As for the reply notification, it still hadn't come through after 4 hours so pretty pointless having it, so I'll regularly check the thread myself as you suggest (the notifications on here don't always work either).

I hope VM finally take notice and sort this.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 21 (540 Views)

I posted my issues with the email elsewhere and was directed to this area of discussion.

Briefly my issues are:

box coming up saying session ended

inbox not showing unless I click on another folder first

having to refresh page on various occasions.

With these and the issues that others have described why are VM tech section not coming online to give help and solutions?

0 Kudos
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 21 (536 Views)

I'm also having problems with Virgin web mail, sometimes I can get on, sometimes not. I've moved most of my emails to Gmail due to previous problems but it all looks a bit of a shambles.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 9 of 21 (485 Views)

It is now nearly a week since my last posting on this issue and still no response from Virgin despite the  contact on their facebook page saying the issues would be passed on to the team.

I have cleared the cache and cookies, rebooted the computer and am still having issues which again range from

session time out box showing

inbox not opening unless I check another folder first and the try and open inbox

Compose page not opening correctly just sits there with buffering wheel showing

Only way to solve these issues is to keep refreshing page.

Come on Virgin sort out these issues which never use to happen.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 10 of 21 (467 Views)

Just as a try I used a different browser today Chrome instead of Safari to access and sign into to my emails - guess what had yet another time out session indication plus problems with the compose page.

0 Kudos