Menu
RonLee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Problem with Windows Live Mail contacts list

I have a list of 48 contacts to whom I send a weekly short newsletter. 3 weeks ago it only went to 8 names, the last 2 weeks to no-one.

I deleted the list and set up a new one but it still only sends to the same 8.

I know the addressses are correct as I sent individual messages to each of the missing 40 with no problems.

Thoughts/suggestions?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Problem with Windows Live Mail contacts list

Can't argue with anything in BillC45 latest post, but for balance there are other webmail options available such as Outlook.com.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Are the contacts part of/under your VM account or a third party (ie Outlook/Hotmail)?
If Hotmail/Outlook then it may be that your account has been migrated the the new sync protocol so WLMail will no longer sync contacts, calendar or email with Microsoft accounts.

Virginia/Doctor9fan. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
0 Kudos
RonLee
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I used Windows Live Mail to create the contacts list, copying the required names from the list of all my contacts.

Definitely not Outlook or Hotmail and presumably not VM account.  As a very non-techie user I'm afraid I can't be more specific.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi RonLee,

I'm not a WLM user myself but this appears to be a not uncommon issue.

One workaround is:

If your contacts are set up as a group, click on the +sign to expand the group. Check the intended addresses are listed and click OK to close.

Sending to all should now work.

I'm not sure what version of WLM you're using so don't know if this might help:

• Open Options (ctrl, shift, o)
  • Select the General tab
  • De-select  Send and receive messages at start-up 
  • Make sure that Check for new messages every is set to every 10mins

Let us know if this helps. If not I'll do some more research.

Jen
Forum Team

Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Windows Essentials 2012 suite (which includes Windows Live Mail) reached end of support on January 10, 2017.

If Microsoft will no longer fix any future security (or indeed any) problems with it, then you would be best advised to move to another email client.

RonLee
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks both,

BillC45 can you recommend an alternative?  How do I transfer my existing contacts and e-mails that I want to save?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You start by putting “best free email clients” into Google and reading through the results. Note that WLM will appear in some of these reviews because most of the reviews were done before Microsoft’s announcement about the end-of-support date. Choose the new one which best suits your requirements.

Many contributors to this community think Thunderbird is the best free client.

A key consideration is how easy or difficult it is to transfer your data from WLM to your new choice. Most email clients have facilities to export and import data in a special format called CSV (comma separated values). So, you can Google “export WLM data/contacts/ etc” and again, read how to do that. Similarly, you can Google “import data into new client xyz” and read up on that.

The above assumes you want to use an email client. If you just want to use webmail, open a Gmail account and forward all your VM emails to it automatically.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Can't argue with anything in BillC45 latest post, but for balance there are other webmail options available such as Outlook.com.