Menu
aderussell
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Problem reporting spam to spamcop.net

I report ALL spam to spamcop.net. For some time now many of my reports are not getting through. I get no bounce message but the mail does not get to spamcop.net. Some does, but I would say more than 50% does not. I am wondering if something is filtering on the content. It may appear to a filter as being spam (obviously the content was when sent to me), but now I want to forward it (as an attachment) to spamcop.net but it seems to vanish after it leaves me.Any ideas? I am baffled as to why some does get through and some doesn't. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problem reporting spam to spamcop.net

Virgin Media's outgoing spam filters are stricter than their incoming spam filters and so with certainty  you will find:

• it is impossible to forward messages already identified as spam.
  • it is not always possible to forward messages you identify as spam because the outgoing spam filter may conclude the same

If you send / forward an email via webmail that the outgoing spam filter identifies as spam then a warning message is displayed:

2017-01-10-00.jpeg

However, no such warning is received when sending via an email client and the message is silently dropped.

0 Kudos
aderussell
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

The really stupid thing now is that I get phishing emails pretending to be from Virgin. I immediately (within seconds) try to send these to Spamcop. They do not get there . So it would appear that Virgin are allowing phishing emails (trying to get our Virgin account details) through to their customers but will not allow me to report it.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

It is the most odd situation imaginable, Virgin Media know these (phishing) emails to be malicious but have no qualms with receiving / delivering them to customers and exposing them to an unnecessary risk; AFAICS, this situation is unlikely to improve anytime soon.