Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
One to Watch
SandyH
Helpful Answer

Password problems and blueyonder mail

I cannot access any help at all to solve my problem in fixing my mail.  :smileysad:  I have tried ringing Virgin email, but after all of the option pressed, I either get an engaged tone or am cut off!!!  Please can ANYBODY help; since Friday night I have been unable to access my Windows mail blueyonder account - I get the "Please verify your username and password are correct for your mail server" message.  When I input my user name (the original one and only that I have had since about 2001) and password, I get

"Account: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Server: 'pop3.blueyonder.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password.', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC92"

I have tried Tools - Accounts - Properties, and checked the servers and the advanced tab are filled in correctly, but I can still not authorise my account.

I rely on my mail for my work, and I don't really want to change my provider as I have used Telwest (originally) and Virgin (latterly) and felt quite loyal towards them, but unfortunately I cannot manage without my email for much longer.

:smileysad:

Please use plain text.
Wizard
Sensory

Re: Password problems and blueyonder mail

[ Edited ]
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
SandyH

Just reading through all the other posts from people with the same problem and I'm amazed that we all suddenly have

• Incorrect Email settings.
  • Incorrect scan settings on anti-virus software (if any).
  • Corrupted account settings.

I'm not very tecchie, and don't know how this could have possibly happened to my PC :-(

I can't even do the "repair and recover" as suggested in http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/19452, as the repair is for xp and my OS is Vista, and it also says Important: It will ask you to put your windows XP cd in the drive   which, of course, I don't have!!!!  I think I may have to ring BT tomorrow, and reluctantly change ISP.

Please use plain text.
Wizard
Sensory

Rather dramatic over not being able to get your e-mails via OE?

But hey, enjoy BT....oh and so you know BT support will not setup outlook with you as its not their software. You have to use their webmail if you can't figure  out how to set up OE yourself.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
SandyH

Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
SandyH

Bah!!!!  Got son (very tecchie...Games Designer!) to try to fix/reinstall my Windows Mail.  Guess what...still won't accept password. :-(  Anyone got any further suggestions?

Please use plain text.
Wizard
Sensory

Hi Sandy,

When your prompted for your user name and password it can be because of user name and password incorrect. So where you add your user name are you using the alphanumeric user name without @blueyonder.co.uk at the end?

Can you login to webmail using your mail alias and password, just to be sure your password is correct.

Lastly: Security software ( firewall ), norton, Macafee etc can block the authentication to the mail server.

Given all the steps, user name & password have been tried, how about lowering/ temp disable of your security software to test?

What security software do you have?

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
SandyH

Hi Sensory,

I'm using the alpha numeric user name (not my email alias) that was sent to me during my original broadband connection setup yonk ago.  Getting into webmail is sporadic; I was logged in earlier today, but I refreshed the page about an hour ago, and now I just get an error message -  An error has occurred. Please wait a moment before trying again.

I'm using CS Security Center (sp) so I am going to "snooze" it, and also turn off my firewall for a few minutes to see if that works.  I've checked all the settings on Windows Mail, and (as a last resort) Outlook mail, and they appear to be correct.

I'll try without any security now, and see what happens.  Watch this space....de de dehhhhhh!  (That's meant to be dramatic music!)

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
SandyH

:smileysad:  No luck!

Please use plain text.
Wizard
Sensory

Ok, go with me on this if you don't mind.

Please use plain text.