Menu
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Password Confusion

For years now I have used the same password to access My Virgin Media and all three of our email accounts, one of which is my wife's.  Now when I sign in to My Virgin Media I am getting a nag screen asking me to change my password.

Am I right in thinking that if I do change it for MVM it will automatically change my email login to this new password?  And what about the other two email accounts, will they change to that new password as well or do I have to update the password separately for each of those log-ins?

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Password Confusion

Dave_cq wrote:

For years now I have used the same password to access My Virgin Media and all three of our email accounts, one of which is my wife's.  Now when I sign in to My Virgin Media I am getting a nag screen asking me to change my password.

Am I right in thinking that if I do change it for MVM it will automatically change my email login to this new password?  And what about the other two email accounts, will they change to that new password as well or do I have to update the password separately for each of those log-ins?

1. report to remedial security awareness training immediately Smiley Happy [ unless you like having ALL your addresses hacked at the same time ]. And if your password is "password" like with the unfortunate John Podesta... then get on it NOW

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4087092/Assange-says-14-year-old-hacked-Democratic-emails-re...

2. a login to My virgin media requires an email address + the password for that specific email. so to check webmail for different mailboxes accounts I have to sign out, sing in with a different email and use the matching password  ( mine are not all the same)

3. so it seems a reasonable deduction that obeying the nag will change password only for the email address you are logging in with. ( and then the stored value in any apps or programs will need to be updated )

Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks cybmole.  Well it was a nice strong password and we've never had any security problems so does my face look bovered?    Smiley Very Happy

It's just the hassle of changing all the details on our numerous devices using email clients plus Mailwasher that's always put me off ... and you just know that something as simple as a password change were it with any other organisation will almost certainly result in a complete disaster when implemented by VM, and I can't afford to lose email access right now.  Oh well, I might bite the bullet tomorrow after several stiff whiskies.   Smiley Wink

Electron
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media's change password process accepts your current password as the new password; design process  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

用心棒 wrote:

Virgin Media's change password process accepts your current password as the new password; design process  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hah.  Why am I not surprised.

Electron
0 Kudos