Menu
steptoesyard
Tuning in
Message 1 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Password Auth Failed using Thunderbird 3 email software

My email client (Thunderbird 3) has now decided to request the password to access my emails, but was working perfectly the day before. Nothing has changed, I have changed nothing

I have even tried restoring an old backup of the settings, but still being asked for the password

I am trying to reset my password via the website, but there is no password reset as suggested by your "help" page, as detailed below

To reset your password, go to the My Virgin Media page, click on Forgotten password? and then follow the on-screen instructions.

You'll be asked to enter your username, then the answer to your security question and your date of birth. If you don’t remember the answer to your security question, click Forgotten the answer to your security question? You’ll be taken to another page where you can enter details from your last bill. After that, you'll be able to set a new password.

Please can you give me a direct link so I can try resetting my password (as I have no ideas what it is) so I can get my email as I do not use web mail or even have a virgin web mail account and have always used Thunderbird for email

I use an NTLWORLD.COM email address and always have for at least 10 years. Clicking the manual setup for Thunderbird 3 and choosing the details for an NTLWORLD.COM account just pops up an unknown link 404 error on your website ....

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
muzzzzy
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 45
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Password Auth Failed using Thunderbird 3 email software

Hi,

If it is your primary account email then log on to virgin media and look under my account and then my profile. I have the same issue and it affects only sending emails. I have changed my password multiple times so good luck.

0 Kudos

All Replies
muzzzzy
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 45
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi,

If it is your primary account email then log on to virgin media and look under my account and then my profile. I have the same issue and it affects only sending emails. I have changed my password multiple times so good luck.

0 Kudos
steptoesyard
Tuning in
Message 3 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Any response from virgin .....

I have still no access to my email, its now 3 days and still asking for my password, NOTHING has changed on my email account, NOTHING has changed on my system. It was working perfectly a couple of days ago, started up the computer went to check my emails and asked to enter password ..... I've had this issue befor eand again for no reason so left it 24 hours to see if its a Virgin side error as that has 'fixed; itself in the past, but still no access to my emails

I don't use webmail, and don't even have a webmail account, preferring to use software clients to access my mail and always have done for far longer than I want to say. I've always used Thunderbird for well over 10 years with no issues from their software but plenty of 'issues' from Virgin mail servers, all relating to randomly insisting I enter my password and refusing access regardless of what I try, so leave it 24-48 hours which has always 'fixed' the problem without me actually doing anything

I've changed my main access password, which sent an email notification to my email account ..... which I cannot access !!!!!

Reading various forums past and present suggest Virgin are doing "technical" updates to their mail servers or "background maintenace" and just to wait, fantastic suggestion. So, when I finally get my email access restored I'm going to have to trawl through over 200+ emails hoping I don't miss anything I actually need to read from all the spam I get that I have reduced to a minimum but hard core spam always gets through. Not including the support forums I am on and  message groups

There is no point selecting "email me when someone replies" simple due to the fact I CANNOT ACCESS MY EMAIL ACCOUNT

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Before this thread deteriorates further into frustration let's get a few things sorted. 

1. There is nothing currently wrong with the VM SMTP mail servers or the inbound IMAP/POP servers. From time to time they do go awry for short periods but that is not the case at the moment. When they do, they self-correct usually. My e-mail client is working perfectly and has been so for weeks and weeks now. Your issue seems to point to something at your end. But it will need careful diagnosis to sort it out. We can guide you (we being the other users who come here to help) but we can't see you or your PC or set up, so guidance and pointers is the limit of what we can do.

2. You do have a web mail account. Everyone does. You access it using your main e-mail address (called the primary e-mail address) and your e-mail client's password.  You can log-on easily from most VM web pages. You should do that to check there isn't a fundamental issue with your account and the way it is being held on the VM servers; an error which can arise and which only VM can sort out. This is a check that they will ask you to do, because although they can see your account and test it,  it is much better if you do the test because we have seen cases where on the VM side things look normal but they aren't. So we have had to go on with the diagnosis. If you can't access web mail then it is time for a phone call to VM, broadband faults (deals with -mail) and ask them to get VM IT to check the account. If you wait here for the Forum Team to pick it up you'll wait up to 2 weeks.

3. We often find that e-mail client settings have got changed. sometimes this is internal file corruption, sometimes it is user error. Who knows. You need to check. It is absolutely no use telling us that nothing has changed. Something may have changed. I doubt you are in the mood to post your settings here so we can check but you should at least check them against the recommended settings. Link here to help you do this:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-Media-Email-settings/td-p/3166396

VM cannot possibly know how your client is set up and it is really down to you to ensure that it is configured properly. VM will happily support in case web mail is not working because they can see what is happening. But they only give advice on e-mail clients. If you get really "lucky" when you phone they'll offer to take over your PC and reset your client for you. Like you'd want to let them loose?

4. Password corruption is a possibility, and one we have seen many times before. VM hold your password on several different servers. sometimes the passwords get out of sync and a simple password reset using the same password (yes the same password) as though you were changing it does the trick. Guidance to help you do it is here:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1001&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE...

and you may find this thread helpful too:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/email-details-not-workong/td-p/3231571

with ravenstar68's advice on passwords (easier to understand and follow than VM's own help file).

Do this at the end of your diagnostic session. The web mail check comes first. It'll also give you access to your mail while T'bird isn't working,. I use a client for my VM mail but I go into web mail regularly to see what be happening with spam.

5. This one is a bit far out - have you just upgraded to win 10 and saw the error immediately after that? If so read this and act accordingly:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Windows-10-Mail-App-fix-for-0x85050013-error/td-p/2881515

its the sfc/scannow check that you should run. 

Now you can accept or reject all this advice as you see fit.  But I have formulated it based on my own experience and what I have seen on these Boards over the years. It is designed to be a systematic approach to resolving these sorts of issues - only one of which may be down to VM (something wrong with your account). 

As I have said the current wait time for VM Forum Staff to come back to you here is about 2 weeks. VM tech support do not participate in this Forum or answer questions here.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Just wondering why you're using Thunderbird 3 - everyone knows that Thunderbird 2 was the heavy duty one.

Seriously though - the Current version of Thunderbird is Thunderbird 45.4.0  If you are still on Thunderbird 3 then you should really think about updating it.

Note as well the ISP database that Thunderbird uses has been updated with the correct settings for all four Virgin Media email domains.  So it really should be a case of entering the email address and password and you're sorted.  All you have to do is decide whether you want to use POP3 or IMAP4 - I personally recommend the latter.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

steptoesyard
Tuning in
Message 6 of 45
Flag for a moderator

I am using the very latest revision of Thunderbird as I've just downloaded and installed it, and started reinstalling a full format and clean install of Windows 7. Absolute bare minimum of software has been installed so far and tried collecting my email ... auth failed

Time to ring Virgin "support" tomorrow to see if they can see anything from their end that's blocking my access, or see if they have blocked access as I was getting strange email bouncebacks saying numerous emails couldn't be delivered to email addresses that are not in my address book nor have I ever used them and at times the computer wasn't even turned on or me sending anything at ridiculous times of the morning when even I'm not up and about going to work

The email failed messages stopped after 2-3 days without anything else being effected but it could be related to a possibility that my email account was being hacked (none of my address book had complained they were getting weird emails from me) so they put a block on it, but it was working fine a few days then this constant "auth failed" message

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Would you be willing to try a session of Thunderbird with smtp logging enabled?

It's a little bit involved so I've created a batch file to make it easier.

@echo off
REM Check if there's a log folder already created
if exist %~dp0tbirdlog goto continue

REM If not then create it
echo creating log folder %~dp0tbirdlog
md %~dp0tbirdlog

:continue
REM Set logging environment variables
set NSPR_LOG_MODULES=SMTP:5
set NSPR_LOG_FILE=%~dp0tbirdlog\tbird.log

start thunderbird

1. If you copy the text above into notepad.
2. Click save as
3. In the file type dropdown box change it from txt to all files.  (You must do this otherwise notepad will append a .txt to the end of the filename).
4. For the File name enter tbirdlogging.bat (you can use any name so long as it ends with .bat but I prefer descriptive names).
5. Click Save

The above file checks for and if necessary creates a folder called tbirdlog in the same folder that the script is run from.  It then sets the environment variables needed for a single run of thunderbird with smtp logging enabled and the logs stored in that folder as tbird.log  The command window will close quickly but Thunderbird will start up.

Try sending an e-mail then close thunderbird. (You must close it for the log file to be saved).

Double click the log file then look for the following lines.

3856[1411140]: Logging suppressed for this command (it probably contained authentication information)
3856[1411140]: SMTP entering state: 0
3856[1411140]: SMTP Response: 235 ... authentication succeeded

What we're mainly looking for is the text of the line in red.  In my case this is a successful authentication.  However in your case I expect to see a 5xx error - seeing that line can provide more information.

Ravenstar68

Edit some background on Thunderbird logging can be found here

https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Logging#Windows - Note their example was for IMAP

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

muzzzzy
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Update on my situation. 

Called Virgin Friday evening and actually managed to get to a uk call centre and then through to 2nd line support? Anyway they confirmed there was a problem with my account sending SMTP but could not explain exactly what it was. Their request was for me to disconnect all my email clients for 24 hours and the problem should resolve itself. Tonight (48 hours later) same issue!

I have noticed that i have now recieved multiple failed (return to recipient) emails from freecycle and also a notice of exceeding the send limit for email.

Have checked my sent box and also the headers of the sent emails it is pretty obvious that my address has been spoofed. Obviously this is beyond my control and whether it is related or not to my sending issues i am unsure. It would be a highly probable this is somehow related but why cant Virgin see this?

I remember reading somewhere there is a framework in place that can stop this spoofing which i understood was used by ISP`s ? 

Anyway back to wasting entire evenings hoping i get through to a UK call centre.

On the Plus side Virgin send me a survey request...........Smiley Happy

Also going to try the logging method above see if it sheds any light on this.

0 Kudos
muzzzzy
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 45
Flag for a moderator

From my log file.

4616[a11140]: SMTP entering state: 0
4616[a11140]: SMTP Response: 525 Authentication Denied (VM320)
4616[a11140]: SMTP entering state: 18
4616[a11140]: SMTP Login response, code 525

Basically my smtp is somehow disabled. The issue is, and always has been, why can Virgin not correct this??

0 Kudos
muzzzzy
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 45
Flag for a moderator

Well another conversation with 2nd line support. Explained my smtp error and also that today i again received the lock email despite nothing being sent from my email address. As i have already explained someone is spoofing my email address to freecycle addresses. The headers show that the ip address sent from do not resolve back to any site ? The response was maybe because it is an old ntlworld email address they may be using port 25 for unsecured sending..... well if this was the case surely i would be able to see all the sent emails.??? The emails are not originating from Virgin servers.... can only tell them this so many times surely.

Anyway apparently they have now raised a ticket with there abuse department and i should hear back in about a week however beginning to feel really fobbed off!

0 Kudos