Menu
phillro
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

POP3 password

I need to get my POP3 password from Virgin, who are my ISP, because I cannot remember the password that I used to set up the blueyonder account.

.When using Outlook, I get a prompt with every email I send asking me for my POP3 password.  (Using the Virgin Email server, I do not get this).  I have tried to set the account so that it remembers my password instead of having to prompt each time, but when it does a test login, that fails, presumably because I have the password wrong.

How do I reset this POP3 password in Virgin?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: POP3 password

You may already be in a puzzle. Passwords 1, 3 and 4 are all identical, by definition. Virgin mobile requires a separate password which is changeable via the Mobile web pages.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

phillro
Tuning in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Graham, and thank you for such a swift response.

Before I do that, can I ask you about one related thing that confuses me?

I seem to have several Virgin Media passwords:

1. There is the one that I use to sign in on the Virgin Media web page
  2. There is a separate password requested if I want to go to the Virgin pages for my mobile phone
  3. There is a password to get access to Virgin web-based email
  4. and there is the password I enquired about originally - the password for my blueyonder POP3 account

Following your instructions, I am on the Virgin Media My Profile page, looking at a (hidden) password against my email account, which I am about to change.  Is that password no. 4 in mylist above?

I hope you don't mind my checking like this, but last time I changed passwords I got into a frightful muddle because I failed to keep track of which password was which.

Thanks.

Bob

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You may already be in a puzzle. Passwords 1, 3 and 4 are all identical, by definition. Virgin mobile requires a separate password which is changeable via the Mobile web pages.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
phillro
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Howard - that simplifies things.

Unfortunately, after setting my new password, I still get this message from Oultook when it tries to test my POP3 account and password:

Logging onto server failed -
"Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).
Send test email message: Your email server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings."

Who is the person in my ISP, Virgin, whom I should contact to follow up on this message?  Or is there something else I can do?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

You haven't told Outlook what the new password is. Here is how you tell it in Outlook 2010 for example - 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/2697421/change-password-in-outlook-2010

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Precisely my thoughts.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

If you are still getting problems after entering the new password in Outlook I suggest checking all your settings match those detailed here: https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

phillro
Tuning in
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

All correct, except that I do not know how to find our my port number.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

It will be in the Advance tab under account settings.  Depending on your version of Outlook it should look something like this:

outlook server.PNG