Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Good to Know
Negev

Outlook Express to Office 365

Had problems with this and thought I would share the info.

Given that XP support is finishing soon(ish) I have made the jump to Win 7 from XP and also to Office 365.

Really dont like Win8 and have tried and failed to learn Ubuntu and such.

Anyway I backed up all my stuff prior to shutting the old system down but have still ran into problems.

I backed up the address book from OE to a wab file. This was apparently a mistake, but sorted now.

To import the wab into 365, I double left clicked the wab and it auto imported the contacts into windows (only)

Outlook 365 could still not see them.

Then I had to export the contact file from win 7 to a CSV.

Found the [username] contacts folder and at the top I had the option to export as either a csv or vCard.

Exported as csv.

Back to outlook on 365

[File].....[Open & Export] <<< Counter intuitive I know.

This lets you choose export AND import.

Import from another program or file

Comma Separated values

Job done.

Unfortunately, I now have another problem.

All my email was backed up as dbx files.

How do I get them into Office 365?

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

Re: Outlook Express to Office 365

Wab is Windows Address Book, which is why it only imported into the Windows book and not outlook.

emails should of been exported as a PST file.

outlook 2013 does not support DBX
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Please use plain text.
Good to Know
Negev

[ Edited ]

I realise that now, but all was not lost. Didn't think you could export OE to pst files?

I thought the only way to back them up was copy the storage folder.

Yes outlook 2013 cannot get the dbx files but I have managed a workaround.

Even if I am not entirely sure how it worked.

I used windows live mail.

NOT the live mail already included with win 7.

Downloaded windows live mail 2012 from here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/essentials-other#essentials=overviewother

Then used this to [import][messages][outlook express 6] and pointed it at my backed up dbx files.

Then in windows live mail 2012 I used [export mail][email messages][Microsoft exchange][choose selected folders] and chose only the imported ones.

Went back to outlook 2013 and all my email and folder structure had appeared.

So I know it can be done, even if it is a bit convoluted.

I'm guessing maybe around April there may be a lot trying to accomplish the same thing.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
XYNem

AFAIU, you want to import your Outlook Express' .dbx files into Office 365. Right?

Outlook Express supports DBX format while PST format is supported by Office 365 Outlook. You cannot import your .dbx files to Outlook without converting them to PST format. Such conversion can be done by both ways, i.e. manually or by using a 3rd party software. 

I would like to share a blog here: How to import DBX files to Microsoft Outlook?

Read this blog to know how you can import your .dbx files to Microsoft Outlook manually. If the does not help you, you can try Email Converter app given there in the blog.

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Omniscient
gary_dexter

XYNem wrote:

AFAIU, you want to import your Outlook Express' .dbx files into Office 365. Right?

Outlook Express supports DBX format while PST format is supported by Office 365 Outlook. You cannot import your .dbx files to Outlook without converting them to PST format. Such conversion can be done by both ways, i.e. manually or by using a 3rd party software. 

I would like to share a blog here: How to import DBX files to Microsoft Outlook?

Read this blog to know how you can import your .dbx files to Microsoft Outlook manually. If the does not help you, you can try Email Converter app given there in the blog.

Thank you.

I don't think someone will pay $59 for a one-off convertor, that isn't even gauranteed to work.

Besides, OP has fixed their issue

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
skylar009

Both Outlook Express (.dbx) and Office 365 (.pst) supports different file formats so you need to convert DBX file to PST for importing Outlook Express to Office 365. You can select either manual method or third party toolkit.
I am sharing here a link of a blog that will provide you both methods which I have got from Google. Carefully read the process and try-

http://otingainamata.wordpress.com/2014/07/04/how-to-convert-dbx-to-pst-with-helpful-dbx-file-conver...

Best of Luck

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
ksteven

I can't understand why only paid tools are mentioned, well there is a manual solution available to convert DBX to PST, as Office 365 understands the PST format, you can easily follow the manual solution and convert your DBF file of Outlook Express into PST of Office 365.

Follow the manual solution to convert DBX to PST

Please use plain text.