Check your service statusCable National
Searching for something?
Clever-clogs
VaughanR

Re: Outlook 2007 and new ntlworld e-mail settings

Note to moderators.

You're pretty quick with the edit pen. Shame your technical people can't be as quick with help.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
slug

OK Guys

I have sorted it all out

I have spent weeks trying to solve this problem and have now solved it hooray.

What you have to do is:

first log into your the online virgin mail account,

switch to standard view,

then create a filter to stop virgin controlling spam, you create a filter using the address - is:spam,

then log out.

now go into your Outlook 2007 and complete the entries as discribed by Virgin but make sure you dont tick 'My outgoing server box.

Complete all and hey presto you are back in business.

I am so glad I could pass this on, no HELP from VM.

P

Please use plain text.
Emerging Talent
stephengg

[ Edited ]

I'm in exactly the same position.

I've been using an ntlworld email address for my business since 2002.  I currently use Outlook 2007 and Windows 7, and absolutely detest webmail.  I really want to get the emails out of VM and into my webmail client, but none of the guidance seems to work.  How could VM provide help and support for all but the most recent version of Windows and the most widely used email client (at least in business)?!

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
vans4

I agree. There is somthink wrong with the published setting. SMTP simply does not work either with Outlook 2007 or Thunderbird.

Please use plain text.
Crafty
loobiloo

My outlook 7 icon just showed that I had 50 messages downloading; none of them appeared in outlook (or webmail). I'm not sure if they were spam that were immediately deleted or whether any of them were missing emails???

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Rimmer100

Hello,

People are too busy ranting in here to see that itinerant has solved the problem with Outlook 2007

>

The page linked to uses SMTP server smtp.ntlworld.com which doesn't work.  Using SMTP server of smtp.virginmedia.com and using all other settings on that page does work.

>

The manual setup page also forgets to tell you to set the "Use the following type of encrypted connection:" to "SSL" which is a seperate setting.

This page does tell you that but if you stick with the smtp.ntlworld.com server you just get the error message.

"Send test e-mail message: None of the authentication methods supported by this client are supported by your server."

Which smtp server you use is irrelevant.  You could use someone elses server if you wanted to, so there is no problem with changing this setting.

In all I am happier that my e-mail is now being encrypted and now I have set virgoogle mail to delete message downloaded by smtp there is no difference between what was there before and now.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
petejgarbett

Thanks for the info! I used the Outlook 2007 Repair function, and my Outlook is working again. (I'm @ntlworld.com.) Ignore Virgin's useless instructions, and leave it to Outlook!

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
aimgni

so what was changed today? 

I did all I was asked to in May, changed settings on 3 computers (using Outlook) and my Nokia push service.  All worked successfully - even the 'recent' setting.  I do not want to use webmail.

Today no service from virgin, no email download service.  webmail works.  error is 'terminated by server error 0x800ccc0f'

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
petejgarbett

Ignore my previous posting. I discovered after a few days that, whilst new messages were arriving in my Outlook 2007 inbox, replies to, and 'read receipts' for, messages I had sent were NOT.

I could only read them in my Hotmail - which I had linked to my ntlworld account. Now I just use my Hotmail account most of the time.

If I want to send a complex (in formatting terms) e-mail, I need to use Word as e-mail editor. So I send it in Outlook from my ntlworld account, and read the reply in Hotmail!

Virgin Media are appalling. They are enemies of IT. They have rendered unusable Microsoft's splendid e-mail and diary-management software, Outlook 2007. Just to force people to use their HIDEOUS webmail site.

It hasn't worked in my case, though! I can read my replies and 'read receipts' in Hotmail, so I NEVER go to their **bleep**py site!

I'm moving in the near future, and I don't want to sign a twelve-month contract with a new ISP until I do. But then it will be 'Virgin, goodbye!'

Please use plain text.