Menu
GabrielD
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Outgoing mail not sending from iPad when overseas

My mum is visiting me in NZ and her ntlworld email on her iPad is not sending outgoing emails, whilst her same email is working on her iPhone. The error msg on her iPad says that 'the email recipient has been rejected by the server and a copy placed in the outbox'. Outgoing settings are SMTP.virginmedia.com, server port 465, ssl is turned on.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outgoing mail not sending from iPad when overseas

Hello GabrielD

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry your mum is having problems sending emails. There may be several reasons for it, perhaps us limiting the number of email recipients that may be sent to from NZ. Although that said it is funny how it works on iphone. Is she still there, is it still happening? 

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
GabrielD
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yep, has been the same for weeks. In terms of recipients, we have been sending to only one gmail address and emails are not being sent and sitting in the outbox on iPad, but going through fine on iPhone. Same situation from when she had been here before.
0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As they are Apple devices why not use iCloud mail? Works anywhere in the world and is very reliable. Just redirect your incoming VM mail to your iCloud email address, everyone with an Apple device gets one for free.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Was the ipad successfully sending emails whilst in the UK?

If so, has the account password been changed since the last successful UK send on the ipad, and if so, was the ipad password updated?

Whatever the case, read this - 

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-DO...

to understand why it is not a simple matter to change the ipad settings.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello GabrielD

Thanks for getting back, interesting problem. Our recipient sending limits are quite low for NZ so can fully understand if they are being hit on the iphone but not sure why they are sending okay from the ipad, perhaps the VM501 one hour limit has been reached and finishes before you then try again on the ipad. If you would like I can take a look at our SMTP logs, I will send you a private message to gather some more information.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
GabrielD
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks.  To clarify, she could send ok from iphone but not from ipad, with only one recipient on the emails.  Ipad emails working ok now she's back in the uk.  I've responded to your PM.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Gabriel

Thanks for getting back, I fully appreciate that you would like to stop it happening again. Unfortunately I am unable to check the logs for the dates you sent me as we only keep email SMTP logs for 28 days. I have checked all the ones we have and can only see normal emails being send, no failures or rejections from our servers. I do wonder whether the SMTP settings on the ipad are exactly correct, it may be worth double checking Email settings for addresses ending in @blueyonder.co.uk

Apart from that when your mum comes over next if you encounter the problem again please note times/dates of the failures and let us know as soon as possible, we will happy to take another look.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos