Menu
Lakemania
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Outgoing email problem using a non-VM email address

I have broadband from VM so I need to send mail out via a VM SMTP server. Incoming email uses a which.net email address. Email client is Thunderbird on Win XP.

This has worked for years, but recently I get send failure with error message "login to server smtp.blueyonder.co.uk fails" .

I get a request to enter a password for the smtp server, but my existing password does not work.

I have changed my account password on VM (My Virgin Media) but the new password doesn't work either.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Outgoing email problem using a non-VM email address

Can you do a quick check along these lines please? But this may need more skilled and knowledgeable input which you will get here. I take it you can receive OK?

Check that your client is using port 465 for SMTP (outgoing) with SSL and authentication on and authentication is using a VM e-mail address.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

One other point that I am reminded of looking back through similar threads. If you are authenticating with a VM e-mail address have you visited and used the account at that address in the last 90 days. If not your address may have been deactivated in preparation for deletion aftera futher 60 days. You'll need to phone in to sort this. Look at this:

https://my.virginmedia.com/customer-news/articles/virginmediamail.html

VM are having a purge on "unused" addresses.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Lakemania
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Howard,

Thankyou for your two messages. I was authenticating with my non-VM which.net email address.

I have now created a VM email address and used that instead. Same result so far. I'll try shutting down everything and restarting the PC.

On the topic of deleting "redundant" unused incoming addresses - I normally never use my VM incoming email address, but I use my VM outgoing email many times a day. Is this going to be a problem every 60 days?

Lakemania

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

You may care to contemplate this whilst you are waiting - 

What happens if I continue to use Windows XP? 

If you continue to use Windows XP now that support has ended, your computer will still work but it might become more vulnerable to security risks and viruses. Internet Explorer 8 is also no longer supported, so if your Windows XP PC is connected to the Internet and you use Internet Explorer 8 to surf the web, you might be exposing your PC to additional threats. Also, as more software and hardware manufacturers continue to optimize for more recent versions of Windows, you can expect to encounter more apps and devices that do not work with Windows XP. 

From - 
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Lakemania wrote:

Howard,

Thankyou for your two messages. I was authenticating with my non-VM which.net email address.

I have now created a VM email address and used that instead. Same result so far. I'll try shutting down everything and restarting the PC.

Check that you can use this address in web mail to send please - send to yourself as a test. But this is a bit odd. Suggests that something has gone awry with T'bird.  Please confirm that port 465 SMTP with SSL on is the outgoing protocol. 

On the topic of deleting "redundant" unused incoming addresses - I normally never use my VM incoming email address, but I use my VM outgoing email many times a day. Is this going to be a problem every 60 days?

If you do not validate each address every 90 days by using an e-mail client or web mail the address will be frozen then deleted after 60 days. 

Lakemania

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
Lakemania
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Fiber Optic,

Thankyou. I'm aware of the issue, but concerned that my oldish PC will creak under the weight of Win 10.

I don't use Explorer 8 and I do have security software, so I have some protection, but I'll need to bite the bullet sometime soon.

Lakemania

0 Kudos
Lakemania
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I don't seem to be able to reach VM webmail. If I click on the Email tab at the top right of the screen I consistently get a message. "Your mailbox is not available at the moment. Please retry again in one hour..."  This applies whether I do it from the My Account screen or the Community screen.

0 Kudos
Lakemania
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Howard,

Points I missed off:

Yes the outgoing email is set up with port 465 and SSL

Thankyou for the email deletion info. I can send a message to the VM email address every month or so, but it seems a pain.  Surely VM could also check the outgoing use?

LM

0 Kudos