Menu
Highlighted
trini
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ongoing problems with webmail: NTL world address

I've had daily disruption to my email account for over six months now. Customer services have repeatedly said that the problem is specific to me and my equipment, and said they would make some "tweaks" to my settings, but this hasn't helped.

Several times a day , every day, I get a message saying there is a temporary problem and I'm unable to access my email. Sometimes I'm directed to "Ox App Suite" which sometimes lets me through to me emails, and sometimes brings up an "Access forbidden " message.

I've now looked this up and discovered  that the problem is with Virgin's email platform, not with my settings. So I'm wondering why they've wasted my time, why they've not told the truth, why I'm paying for  a service that I'm not getting, and when the problem will be resolved. 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ongoing problems with webmail: NTL world address

trini wrote:

I've now looked this up and discovered  that the problem is with Virgin's email platform, not with my settings. So I'm wondering why they've wasted my time

It is , unfortunately, typical of VM's first line support staff. They tend to say anything to get you off the phone

, why they've not told the truth

See above

, why I'm paying for  a service that I'm not getting

You don't pay for e-mail. VM say that it is a free value added service. You pay for the connection to the internet. Though I can understand why you think otherwise

, and when the problem will be resolved. 

There is an open fault. Your guess is as good as anyone else's

Three good questions and I have tried to give you three honest answers. I do not work for VM. The e-mail service is way below par at the moment. Even I see these issues with web mail.  best course of action - use an e-mail client like Thunderbird or Outlook (if you have access to it) as a workround. Not good.

And next time you have an issue come here first. You can see how much closer you get to the truth on the Forums.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

trini wrote:

I've now looked this up and discovered  that the problem is with Virgin's email platform, not with my settings. So I'm wondering why they've wasted my time

It is , unfortunately, typical of VM's first line support staff. They tend to say anything to get you off the phone

, why they've not told the truth

See above

, why I'm paying for  a service that I'm not getting

You don't pay for e-mail. VM say that it is a free value added service. You pay for the connection to the internet. Though I can understand why you think otherwise

, and when the problem will be resolved. 

There is an open fault. Your guess is as good as anyone else's

Three good questions and I have tried to give you three honest answers. I do not work for VM. The e-mail service is way below par at the moment. Even I see these issues with web mail.  best course of action - use an e-mail client like Thunderbird or Outlook (if you have access to it) as a workround. Not good.

And next time you have an issue come here first. You can see how much closer you get to the truth on the Forums.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi trini,

Thanks for your post and I'm sorry you're having trouble using our email service.

As HowardML mentions an email client is probably your best bet for getting the best out of the email service and avoiding the trouble you've had.

Our help page Using Virgin Media Mail with Email clients provides some useful instructions around getting this setup.

Let us know how you get on and if you need any further assistance we're here for you.

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
trini
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Am now accessing my email via an email client, and even though it takes ages to download them and sometimes says "connection timed out" or "unable to download messages" I can get my messages most of the time.

Have been reluctant to leave VM as all of my important services and contacts use my VM email address, but I'm gradually changing important contacts over to another email address so that I can leave VM when my contract is up.

0 Kudos