Menu
yuile
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Oh am I stuffed ... thanks virgin!

Bad things that happen .. we've closed your email and taken it off the server because it's been inactive for 90 days ... thats the account that I use for unimportant stuff like banking and HMRC and kindle and flixter ... and HOW DO I GET THEM TO REINSTATE IT!!!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Oh am I stuffed ... thanks virgin!

are you a virgin customer?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

yuile wrote:
Bad things that happen .. we've closed your email and taken it off the server because it's been inactive for 90 days ... thats the account that I use for unimportant stuff like banking and HMRC and kindle and flixter ... and HOW DO I GET THEM TO REINSTATE IT!!!

From the VM Acceptable Use Policy: http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/acceptable-use-policy.html

Email use

6.5. It is your responsibility to back up the contents of your email account. Upon suspension or termination of services the content may be removed and permanently deleted by Virgin Media without notice.

6.6. If you do not access any email account registered to your Virgin Media account at least once in every 150 days we have the right to delete that email account and it's contents without prior warning

6.7. If the email account is not used in any 90 day period we will suspend that account without prior notice. This will not impact any other email addresses associated with that account, as long as they are accessed within a 90 day period.

6.8. The email account will remain suspended for a further 60 days. During this time you can reactivate it by calling customer care.

6.9. Any e-mail accounts not reactivated will be closed and the contents permanently deleted.

6.10. For the purposes of clarity the term ‘unsolicited’ can be defined as ‘not asked for’ or ‘unwanted’.

6.11. Without prejudice to the other provisions of this AUP, we will investigate complaints regarding email and may take action at our discretion, which shall be based on but not limited to the following:

6.11.1. you may not use your email to send unsolicited messages

6.11.2. if so requested by us or any recipient(s), you must desist from posting messages to said recipient(s);

6.11.3. malicious mail, unsolicited e-mail and unsolicited bulk e-mail is prohibited from being sent from or via a Virgin Media connection. Users must take all appropriate precautions to prevent such use of their machines by third parties. We will not forward mail from accounts terminated for bulk mailing or unsolicited advertising; 6.11.4. chain letters are unsolicited by definition and may not be propagated using the services;

6.11.5. you may not send, distribute, or reply to mailbombs (whether malicious or otherwise). “Mailbombing” is understood as causing individuals to receive large amounts of unrequested email by any means;

6.11.6. Users may not construct, alter and/or forge the headers of email messages to conceal the sender’s email address, or to prevent other Internet users from responding to messages;

6.11.7. harassment, whether through language, frequency or size of messages sent, is prohibited.

6.12. Violations of this AUP may result in a large amount of email traffic. If our customers send and/or receive so much email that our resources are affected, we reserve the right to take such action(s) as may be necessary (to be determined at our sole discretion) to protect both the services and our Users, including, but not limited to, deployment of appropriate network security software.

Providing you are still within the 150 day cut-off period and according to the above VM should be in a position to reinstate and re-activate your account.

Note that information regarding the suspension and subsequent potential deletion of unused email accounts does not appear to be available anywhere within the Virgin Media Help and Support pages: https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030.... A telling omission I feel!

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
yuile
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I have been at various times for various things over the last 30 years (can you still get virgin cola?) even worked with the virgin Eurostar franchise amd met RB himself.
Now digression aside these are legacy virgin.net email accounts .. and I have been on to "help/support" (can you taste the irony?) asking for reinstatement... told they'd call back ... days have past!
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

For legacy email accounts the content of this post will apply: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

Sorry.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@yuile - You didn't answer the question - however let me rephrase it for you.

Are you currently a Virgin Media BROADBAND subscriber?

virgin.net email accounts along with the other three domains (blueyonder.co.uk, ntlworld.com and virginmedia.com) ALL require the user to be signed up to Virgin Media's broadband service.  When you leave the accounts are supposed to automatically terminate after 90 days.  Even the old dial up accounts required that you accessed the dial up platform when it was still available (sadly that closed in 2013 and any email accounts linked to that service should have closed with it).

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos