Menu
JohnInNewport
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Ntlworld pop server closing connection. Dec 2016.

Hi.

I Use an email application (Forte Agent) to read my emails and also to access usenet. Usenet is still functioning normally, however I have not had a successful connection with pop.ntlworld.com since 7th December. I repeatedly get the message "connection closed unexpectedly by server".

I can access and send emails using the web application.

Unfortunately I can't seem to find a way of finding out if there is a known fault or not therefore I have looked here but there doesn't seem to be any new posts identifying this issue.

I would try to log a fault issue however I find the site extremely unintuitive when it comes to finding an appropriate email address to send a query. I can find a snail mail address however, which I find hilarious in its own way.

If anyone hads a similar issue or can indicate a way I can send an email service query to VM without involving writing a letter, I'd be very interested to hear.

Best wishes

John Williams

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ntlworld pop server closing connection. Dec 2016.

First thoughts

Get a proper email program.

Forte is a Usenet reader with POP3 support tacked on.  I've had a play with it and to be frank, there are better tools out there.  For example the last stable release was in 2014.  That's a long time to go without an update in today's modern world.

Mozilla Thunderbird for example is a free Email client that also features Newsgroup support.  Windows Live Mail 2012, also includes Newsgroup Support, but as that is poorly maintained of late, I would recommend Thunderbird instead.

Note as well that POP3 does have a weakness.

If there is a malformed mail in the queue, POP3 can stall when trying to download that particular maill, eventually timing out.  If this is the issue the fix is to delete the offending mail using Webmail and then try th POP3 download again.

Note that while POP3 is a capable email protocol.  In these days where people leave mail on the server and expect it to sync across multiple devices, it's no longer an ideal protocol.  Imap is much better suited to today's email needs IMHO.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Haven’t seen anyone else reporting ntlworld server problems this week.

It can take a week or more for the Virgin Forum Team to pick up a problem submission like this one. Your only shortcut is to phone in -

Phone 150 from a Virgin phone or 0345 454 1111 from any other sort. Hold on until you get a person. Outside normal office hours you’ll probably get the Indian call centre. Good luck with that!

This is on the Forte website under FAQ -

The error message "Connection closed unexpectedly by server" means that the server disconnected from your computer without telling your computer that it was going to do so.

This is usually caused by an extremely busy server trying to free up resources to handle tasks more efficiently. The server may suddenly go offline because of a lockup, maintenance, power problem, etc., or phone line noise, which would cause the server to think that you weren't connected anymore. There is not much you can do to address the actual problem, except for making sure you have a clean connection and contacting your provider to see if they can help. You can also set Agent to retry when the error occurs.

In Tools | Options | Online Operation | Task Settings, set Agent to Retry the task, and Agent should continue to re-try the task until it succeeds or hits the time limit you specify.

In the meantime, suggest you double-check your email settings – here -

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-Media-Email-settings/td-p/3166396

and also re-try the task as described above.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Try webmail and If the email account is not accessible then there maybe a server side issue. Note, webmail has been unresponsive recently and you may need to reload the web page by pressing Ctrl + R or Ctrl + Shift + R

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

First thoughts

Get a proper email program.

Forte is a Usenet reader with POP3 support tacked on.  I've had a play with it and to be frank, there are better tools out there.  For example the last stable release was in 2014.  That's a long time to go without an update in today's modern world.

Mozilla Thunderbird for example is a free Email client that also features Newsgroup support.  Windows Live Mail 2012, also includes Newsgroup Support, but as that is poorly maintained of late, I would recommend Thunderbird instead.

Note as well that POP3 does have a weakness.

If there is a malformed mail in the queue, POP3 can stall when trying to download that particular maill, eventually timing out.  If this is the issue the fix is to delete the offending mail using Webmail and then try th POP3 download again.

Note that while POP3 is a capable email protocol.  In these days where people leave mail on the server and expect it to sync across multiple devices, it's no longer an ideal protocol.  Imap is much better suited to today's email needs IMHO.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
JohnInNewport
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all for replies, good people.

"If there is a malformed mail in the queue, POP3 can stall when trying to download that particular maill, eventually timing out.  If this is the issue the fix is to delete the offending mail using Webmail and then try th POP3 download again."

This was exactly the problem, and deleting the email via Webmail has fixed the issue.

Thanks very much!

Regarding Agent, I have used is successfully (in various versions) since the last century and am firmly of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought. I have not seen this issue before, but as you say 2 years is a long time, and I'll consider moving on to a new client as it is now perhaps showing its age.

Cheers

John

SDC
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

JohnInNewport wrote:

Regarding Agent, I have used is successfully (in various versions) since the last century and am firmly of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought.

Couldn't agree more. I use Forte Agent for Usenet and Eudora for Email, neither are bloated with ads or unnecessary features and they both do exactly what it says on their respective tins. They both play nicely with XP SP3 too :-)

Glad you got your problem sorted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Less-than-Super User, going from bad to worse since signing up to Diamond Cable and JANET all those years ago.
Use Kudos to show your appreciation, send Hobnobs to really show your appreciation :-)
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved.
I do not work for VM... or for anyone else except SWMBO.
Please note that the tone in which you read this post may not be the same as my tone when I created it.
0 Kudos