Menu
Lynns1
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Ntlworld email not sending

Currently in NZ, cannot send emails from ntlworld. Recieving fine and could send for the first few weeks when i first arrived then suddenly stopped. Not been working now for 4 weeks have checked settings recommend by virgin. Any help please???
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Ntlworld email not sending

Lynns1 wrote:
Currently in NZ, cannot send emails from ntlworld. Recieving fine and could send for the first few weeks when i first arrived then suddenly stopped. Not been working now for 4 weeks have checked settings recommend by virgin. Any help please???

Can you access your emails through webmail?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Lynns1
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Yes no problem with webmail or my Google address. So not a great problem but if I forget and just press reply, type a long email and then it fails to send. Frustrating
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

We see this all the time. VM have very strict anti-spam measures in place which will prevent e-mail clients from accessing VM's servers via non-Virgin ISPs located abroad.  This is the likeliest cause of what you are seeing. Web mail is unaffected because it is difficult to use web mail to inject spam into the network.

The other issue may be is that you are not authenticating sends when off the VM network. Check that your SMTP settings are port 465 with SSL and authentication turned on. 

There are two pieces of sane advice to give you to avoid all this hassle. Use VM web mail. It works. Or stop using VM mail when abroad and rely on one of the world wide e-mail providers like GMail or Outlook.com (two examples). That is what I do. 

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos