Menu
AlsaSalsa
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Ntlworld Access Further Questions

Hello All,

This is a sort of Yahoo - Ntlworld Catch 22 Question

So I have read the comprehensive post http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073 about these orphan accounts and would just like to ask a few more questions.

I will outline my situation and then ask some questions,

1. For many years I have been able to reset my yahoo email with the security questions feature,

now the only way is to send an 'activation key' to my @ntlworld email

2. I am not currently a customer, when I try and login to @ntlworld webmail on the Virgin site it says username not recognised, does this mean the account is purged.

3. Is it possible to set up/reinstate my @ntlworld email address, I would be willing to take a broadband package if possible. 

Many thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jamesofmerton
Rising star
Message 12 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Ntlworld Access Further Questions

no one can guarantee that an email address will remain active for you or anyones lifetime. never use an isp email, as when you leave it will usually be deleted. even the bigger names have come and gone over the years. any company can be hacked.

this thread is over complicated with you trying to wriggle out a 'yes your emails exist and are waiting for you' reply. that is what you want to hear. unfortunately, you have lost your ntl world email as you are no longer a customer. that won't be changing. you can argue all you like that someones reply was 'rude and inflammatory' they are stating fact just as i am.

i suggest you move on.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 14 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

With respect - just because the advice that's been offered isn't what you want to hear, doesn't mean it's not valid or helpful.

Looking at this line.

My first email address was @ntlworld or @blueyonder and then later on @virgin.net - I was 12 years old when I got my first email - and not long after ymail.

Being as 12 year olds couldn't set up broadband accounts, I'll state categorically, that unless you can get into the old account using the forgotten password link, you will not get it back even if you did set up a Virgin Media account.

Now I'll explain why.

Virgin Media email addresses are NOT single entities.  They come as a package attached to an account. Under blueyonder and ntlworld, the MAIN account holder was given 5 mailboxes with up to 3 aliases.  The additional mailboxes still belonged to the MAIN account holder, no matter which family member was using them..  So although you were using the email address, it belonged to your parents account, not to you.

So even assuming you are in a Virgin Media area, Virgin could NOT give you access back to your old ntlworld.com address.  All new email addresses that are created MUST end in @virginmedia.com.  The ONLY legacy addresses in use are those who were Telewest or NTLworld customers BEFORE the company rebranded as Virgin Media.

If the account was still active on Virgin Media's system then it MIGHT have been possible to get back in using the forgotten password link, but from what you are saying it sounds like it has been closed down.

You could attempt to verify this by entering your email address into a checker such as this one.

https://email-checker.net/check

Which will tell you if the email address is still valid or not.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Did you try using the link I pointed you to?  Note I had to try it twice as I got unknown the first time.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos

All Replies
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

IMHO try contacting yahoo to resolve the “activation key” recipient being a dead email address here: https://help.yahoo.com/kb/account

0 Kudos
AlsaSalsa
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hey Superuser,

Yahoo does not provide support for Yahoo Accounts!

It's all fully automated now - It just goes around in Circles as it's an Automated System.

The only option for me is to get back control of my ntlworld email address.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

AlsaSalsa wrote:

The only option for me is to get back control of my ntlworld email address.

AFAICS from similar post if the email address no longer exists then there is no chance of getting back control and even slimmer chance if it exists. To check whether the account (mailbox) still exists see this thread: A long lost Ntlworld account

0 Kudos
AlsaSalsa
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou SuperUser

This was my question

3. Is it possible to set up/reinstate my @ntlworld email address, I would be willing to take a broadband package if possible. 

You have replied

"If the email address no longer exists then there is no chance of getting back control and even slimmer chance if it exists."

So a definitive No for getting back control if the account no longer exists - And a 'Slim' Chance if it exists?

It should either be possible or not, it's not a game of chance is it, it's underpinned by tried and tested science.

So playing devils advocate (in my own hypothetical question) if I may, how do I go about working with this 'slim' possibility.

And can somebody please answer the last question I posed.

The idea behind that is that I take out a broadband package and the technical geniuses at Virgin create a new email @ntlworld email address

with the same username as the expired,purged,deleted one;

Surely that is technically possible - I am glad that there is a forum here at least; Yahoo should be ashamed of themselves, they do not assist and have no way of being contacted; There is a forum page on there with 1000's of entries of people with the issue of not being able to log in and the only answer is always to visit their automated and circular Help Pages that are huge circles leading nowhere. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The answer to this is short and sweet. No new Ntlworld.com addresses can be created by VM. The only addresses than can now be created are @virginmedia.com.  So even if you were to open a new broadband account you wouldn't get what you want. And why on earth would you consider paying upwards of £40 per month for broadband just to get an e-mail address, always supposing you are in a VM serviced area?  

Ntlworld adddresses are legacy addresses that remain supported for the indefinite future for VM customers only. If you left VM more than 90 days ago VM will not help you. 

You need to fin another way round you issue as previously suggested, with Yahoo.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
AlsaSalsa
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

The official response from Yahoo is here and that was a year ago to Hundreds of people with the same issue

https://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Password-and-sign-in/I-can-t-verify-my-account-so-i-can-t-access-my-acco...

Now they just send people in cirlces and offer no assistance whatsoever.

I do not appreciate the fact that Virgin Media are apportioning blame to another company and vise-versa instead of adressing
a problem for many that they could solve with some effort.
This is the biggest scandal and con of our times; The news about nearly every yahoo account since inception being hacked was
officially acknowledged in a press release from yahoo this time last year.
What have they done to address this, nothing, they are in hiding. It seems they offer other services other that 'email', I would argue that 
email is the most important service and the backbone of everything else; Yahoo wan't to maintain a News Portal, A Search Engine and many other innovations etc..All of these things are ancillary if personal users and account holders are treated with such flagrant disregard. 

"And why on earth would you consider paying upwards of £40 per month for broadband just to get an e-mail address"
20 years of data and linked accounts unnacesable; The Yahoo account is there and the only solution is to create/access the ntlworld account.
Life happens, people have illnesses - There is a problem for myself and others here and that should be enough for these large companies to find solutions.
My position is that I do not know if my account has been compromised yahoo and ntlworld - For example I cannot login to Flickr with thousands of family photos etc because of this problem; Hacker could be using my account for all I know ntlworld and yahoo.

You're trite response sir 

"And why on earth would you consider paying upwards of £40 per month for broadband just to get an e-mail address"
Speaks volumes, can somebody else please answer so there is some contrast.

Thankyou.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

However much you dislike HowardML's reply, the facts remain the same. If your Ntlworld email account has been closed, either because you haven't accessed it for more than 150 days or you are no longer a VM broadband customer then it cannot be retrieved or recreated.

The 'slim chance' referred to earlier is if you try the forgotten password link on the VM sign in page. Entering the security answers in Upper Case works for some.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

In your initial post you do no mention why you required the activation code. If it is because you have forgotten the password then you maybe able to recover it from your web browser if you saved the password there, for example, in Firefox clicking , Preferences, Security, Saved Logins…, and Show Passwords to show saved passwords.

If you registered a phone number with your Yahoo account then try that on the Sign-in Helper web page or otherwise consider contacting them, details are here: https://policies.yahoo.com/ie/en/yahoo/terms/contact/index.htm, to see if they can help.

0 Kudos
AlsaSalsa
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

HowardML's reply was rude and inflammatory "

"And why on earth would you consider paying upwards of £40 per month for broadband just to get an e-mail address, always supposing you are in a VM serviced area?  

"

My first email address was @ntlworld or @blueyonder and then later on @virgin.net - I was 12 years old when I got my first email - and not long after ymail.

Now I am simply asking if I can have access back to my own email username which can be very easily verified as I havn't moved address in all that time.

Yahoo being hacked is part of the problem, contributors here are saying get a non isp related email - that is obviously not the answer as yahoo had the biggest data breach of all time.

I've not had broadband for a few years now but would certainly consider it again, get enough sales pitches, leaflets, cold calls etc about it.

My main question what of all my email accounts as a customer over the years ''myname@ntlworld.com'' ''myname@virgin.net" "Myname@blueyoneder.co.uk"

Where's the continuity -

If I sign up tommorow to a broadband package will it be changed how much permenancy will that account have.

I really would like to access my yahoo mails of 20+ years and my flickr accounts and it seems the only way would be to access my ntlworld account but webmail access was revoked soon after my contract with Virgin ended.

0 Kudos