Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 40 (39,757 Views)

Not receiving emails on iphone 5 IOS7 using ntlworld.com email address.

Hi

I have set up my nltworld email address on my iPhone 5 IOS 7.

I can send emails but cant receive them. 

I have followed all the help on here but i am still getting the error - Cannot get mail the username or password is incorrect. But i know these to be correct and can log onto my virgin media fine with them. 

Please can someone help me, this is driving me mad and i have waste 3 hours of my time trying to do this. 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 2 of 40 (45,120 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by John_G (Moderator)
‎28-08-2015 00:15

Re: Not receiving emails on iphone 5 IOS7 using ntlworld.com email address.

Try deleting the account from you Iphone and then set it up again using these guidelines.

Put the iphone into 'airplane' mode before entering the ntlworld.com settings? 

This way you can enter the correct settings without the iphone going online to check them at which point it changes them to the default settings which don't work with ntlworld.

The full instructions are:

Click on add account > other > add mail account

Enter the following information

Name, Email address, Password, Description.

Click next (you may or may not encounter an error here. Just click continue or next if you do)

Incoming mail server 

Host name - imap.virginmedia.com Username - For this use your full email address including @ntlworld.com  Password - the one you use to sign into the account

Outgoing mail server Host name - smtp.virginmedia.com Username - Again for this use your full email address  Password - the one you use to sign into the account

Click on Next  At this point you will encounter an error along the lines of 'The server is not responding' Just click OK You will get another error 'This account may not be able to send/receive emails' Just click save

It will save the account and take you to the Mail, Contacts & Calendars page.

Next  check the Port details so click The description of the email you have just setup and then click on your email address. 

Go down to the bottom and click on Advanced Settings. About halfway down there will be the option for Incoming Settings. SSL needs to be ON. Port number should be 993. Click on Account in top left hand corner.

Click on Outgoing Settings then on smtp.virginmedia.com which should be under the heading 'Primary Server'.

Again choose SSL ON and Port number should be 465. Click Done in the top right hand corner.

If at any point you encounter errors then please just click OK, Continue, Accept. This is normal at this point.

Once the details are saved you will need to disable Airplane mode.

Go into mail and you should find your emails in your inbox start to download. To check you can send and receive at the same time just send a test email to yourself.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 40 (45,121 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by John_G (Moderator)
‎28-08-2015 00:15

Try deleting the account from you Iphone and then set it up again using these guidelines.

Put the iphone into 'airplane' mode before entering the ntlworld.com settings? 

This way you can enter the correct settings without the iphone going online to check them at which point it changes them to the default settings which don't work with ntlworld.

The full instructions are:

Click on add account > other > add mail account

Enter the following information

Name, Email address, Password, Description.

Click next (you may or may not encounter an error here. Just click continue or next if you do)

Incoming mail server 

Host name - imap.virginmedia.com Username - For this use your full email address including @ntlworld.com  Password - the one you use to sign into the account

Outgoing mail server Host name - smtp.virginmedia.com Username - Again for this use your full email address  Password - the one you use to sign into the account

Click on Next  At this point you will encounter an error along the lines of 'The server is not responding' Just click OK You will get another error 'This account may not be able to send/receive emails' Just click save

It will save the account and take you to the Mail, Contacts & Calendars page.

Next  check the Port details so click The description of the email you have just setup and then click on your email address. 

Go down to the bottom and click on Advanced Settings. About halfway down there will be the option for Incoming Settings. SSL needs to be ON. Port number should be 993. Click on Account in top left hand corner.

Click on Outgoing Settings then on smtp.virginmedia.com which should be under the heading 'Primary Server'.

Again choose SSL ON and Port number should be 465. Click Done in the top right hand corner.

If at any point you encounter errors then please just click OK, Continue, Accept. This is normal at this point.

Once the details are saved you will need to disable Airplane mode.

Go into mail and you should find your emails in your inbox start to download. To check you can send and receive at the same time just send a test email to yourself.

Message 3 of 40 (39,727 Views)

Hi Bigboybrian69,

I can only recommend you follow Grahams guide above. Quite possibly the most spot on guide to setting up email on an iOS device I've seen!

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Joining in
Message 4 of 40 (38,084 Views)

Brilliant,best information and advice.Set my account up in minutes

Message 5 of 40 (38,077 Views)

Glad to hear it Carvitara,

Thanks again for contributing Graham Smiley Happy

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 40 (37,967 Views)

no not working, I have followed all that is written and it says username or password for NTLworld is incorrect, I know my password is correct as it the one I use to log on for my e-mails, now I can't receive or send!!!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 7 of 40 (37,960 Views)

I see from the post in your other thread that you have now got it working.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 8 of 40 (37,593 Views)

EMAILS NOT SENDING ON ALL APPLE DEVICES

When is Virgin Media going to sort out the major problem with emails at the moment.

Unable to send any emails.

Have tried all the usual tips on the forum with no luck

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 40 (37,543 Views)

Re: EMAILS NOT SENDING ON ALL APPLE DEVICES

Hi Bagpuss70,

This doesn't sound to good, although we don't have any reported mail problem currently.

Could you please tell us what outgoing mail settings you are using, if there is any error message when trying to send and if your email is working ok via webmail?

Many Thanks

Ralph_R
Forum Moderator

0 Kudos
Settling in
Message 10 of 40 (37,514 Views)

Re: EMAILS NOT SENDING ON ALL APPLE DEVICES

I am having the same problem.

I can't send emails either. I followed the instructions above, but it still doesn't work.

0 Kudos