Menu
polly43
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

No web mail - again!

Thought it was too good to be true!  I've been able to log into my Virgtin web mail account for quite a while now.  But....this evening (Friday 17th March) nothing - again.  Just the little thingie going round and round and then a message saying server is unavailable or some such!  Really this has been going on for far too long now!  Surely it's not too much to ask that this service actually works for longer than a week each time before conking out!  Smiley Mad

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: No web mail - again!

polly43 - you've been around the Forum long enough to know that the web mail service is not fit for purpose at present. So you really have three choices, stick with it and cry tears of frustration, download an e-mail client like Thunderbird and collect your mail that way, which will give you dry eyes but a different set up (I've always used a client for my main method of access) or go elsewhere to a non-ISP related web mail service which works better than VM web mail - the nuclear option. I've done the last of these as well.

Funny however the web mail service was working well when I tried it just now. So back to the old tricks. Clear your browser cache and cookies and retry. Refresh the screen if the system fails to load - several times if necessary. Try another browser.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Unbroken
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Me neither since about 7 pm

0 Kudos
cjanderson
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

I have the same issue, since last night I can't access Virgin webmail, tried 3 browsers, it worked briefly on my mobile last night but this morning, nothing. Very frustrating.
0 Kudos
polly43
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Oh I don't actually use it Howard!  I just have all my Googlemail forwarded to it just as a backup really.  I like to check Virgin at regular intervals though. I just keep the important e-mails in folders (for backup as I said,) then delete the rest and generally keep it all tidy.  And of course, I need to access it for my e-mails from Virgin and this forum.  Those to my dedicated Virgin e-mail address!  The fact that I was able to answer your comments this morning means I have been able to log in this morning!  Smiley LOL

I realised a long time ago that I can't ever rely on Virgin Web Mail for regular e-mail.  I just don't want to keep a mail client on my PC this time around.  If I ever occasionally want to keep something I've received in an e-mail, I just copy and paste it into a text document, which is easier for me to keep in folders on my PC anyway and a lot safer.  

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

polly43 wrote:

I realised a long time ago that I can't ever rely on Virgin Web Mail for regular e-mail.  I just don't want to keep a mail client on my PC this time around.  If I ever occasionally want to keep something I've received in an e-mail, I just copy and paste it into a text document, which is easier for me to keep in folders on my PC anyway and a lot safer.  

spot on, hope you didn't have to learn that the hard way.

FYI  thunderbird is an OK free windows 10 email client which takes little space/ resources. So unless you have a small SSD where every storage byte is precious.....  the built in windows 10 mail app is allegedly crap, but if all you want is to monitor one VM account it may be up for that

0 Kudos
polly43
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It's just I don't want e-mail on my PC at all Cybmole. I won't download any e-mail directly to my PC.  It's a security thing.  I'm paranoid about it.  I won't let any of my browsers store cookies, history and certainly not passwords!  Everything is deleted as soon as my browsers are closed.   I use private browsing for banking etc. for the same security reasons.  It's a habit I got into while I was using XP long after it's sell-by date and something I can't see any harm in sticking to with my new PC. 

As to Virgin Web Mail; it continues just the same; sometimes it loads the mailbox pretty well straightaway and others it just won't load at all after logging in.  Just the little 'Dots' going across the screen for ages with nothing happening.  That's why it's no use for everyday mail because of its unreliability.  No trouble  like this at all with Google.  It loads every time with no delays - ever! 

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

polly43 wrote:

It's just I don't want e-mail on my PC at all Cybmole. I won't download any e-mail directly to my PC.  It's a security thing. 

I think your paranoia may be interfering with your common sense. How do you think that web-mail email gets into a readble form on the screen ? answer. it is downloaded directly to your PC .

all that an email client brings to the party is better controls over what is stored, where, and for how long, and over the log-in security

it would be trivial, thouh arguably pointless to configure a client to wipe all traces of email everytime you exit.

also, right now you are trusting your browser security to work wih virgin's weak  back end ystems ( where only short, simple passwords are allowed )  and to authenticate your password every session.

how much do you know about how safe that is ? do you know exactly what our broswer stores, and where, and for how long ?

the only real way to protect your PC from all email menaces is to email ONLY via smart phone or tablet, with 2 step authentication for security., and never access email from any PC, ever.

You can be phished just as easily by email on phone but you eliminate the virus to PC threat. FYI, Virgin mail's " state of the art"  protection lets through almost all phishing attempts, Gmail on the other handstops almost aff of them.

but assuming you have no state secrets to hide and are just worried about malware, phishing etc. a good real time AV program like malwarebytes pro, with built in anti-ransomware shouldsuffice. That is jsut one of many.  Just buy someting that checks all incoming mail before you see it.

and stop using virgin. how can you trust an email system that regularly approves   mails from "virgin media" saying " we are about to disable your account unless you enter your password here " classifying them as not spam but as  Genuine emails that you should reply to ???

using Windows XP is your choice but you do realise it's now a very insecure OS, and that microsoft no longer patch even the most gaping, critical security holes. Even the browsers that still work in XP are relatively insecure as the OS can only support ancient versions which once again never receive any security fixes. your latest version of IE is what- 7,  8, maybe 9. the rest of the world is at 11 or has moved to edge or chrome.  It sort of flies in the face of your otherwise sensible email & banking precautions, to use an OS which is wide open to drive by malware....

0 Kudos
Tudor
Well-informed
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

If you want to run a secure system get a Raspberry Pi and use a VPN.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

or buy some pigeons Smiley Happy

0 Kudos