Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17 (228 Views)

No access to my virgin.net account - HELP

I lost all access to my virgin.net email account on Monday 31st July.  Since then I have been going round in circles and neither Virgin nor Talk Talk are acknowledging responsibility.  I have now learned from trawling around on the web and looking at forums and blogs such as this that virgin.net email has been under threat for some time.  However, I was never informed of this.  I have had my virgin.net email for at least 20 years.  I have lost 20+ years of contacts and emails and it is a nightmare.  I cannot understand why Virgin never gave me any warning that the email would no longer be available - and therefore never gave me chance to go through my email to extract what I needed to keep.

Forum Team - PLEASE is there any way you can help me regain temporary access to my email?  It would appear that it might not have been deleted entirely because when I send an email to it I don't get any non-delivery message.  I don't have other Virgin services but will certainly consider doing so if you can help me.

Thank you.  Jean 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 2 of 17 (284 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by jeanmasters1
2 weeks ago

Re: No access to my virgin.net account - HELP

[ Edited ]

You're half right.

The virgin.net domain itself is going nowhere.  Virgin Media still have CURRENT customers who use virgin.net email addresses.  However the emphasis is on the word current.

Virgin Media email addresses are only available to those who have an active internet account.  If you are in a cabled area then it might be possible to set up an account and have the old addresses linked to it.  But if you are not in a cabled area, then you are out of luck.

While Virgin Media has helped former customers in the past, they have taken the decision to concentrate on existing customers.  So it is unlikely that they will be able to assist.

Tim

P.S.  I dont' know who referred you to TalkTalk, but they have no control over the virgin.net domain.  Any virgin.net accounts from customers who were transferred to talktalk should have been closed by Virgin Media last year, as the 12 month time limit those customers were given expired in June 2016.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Superuser
Message 4 of 17 (271 Views)
Helpful Answer
2 weeks ago

Then the only way you'll get your email back to to become a virgin customer again

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 6 of 17 (243 Views)
Helpful Answer
2 weeks ago

jeanmasters1 wrote:

I am in a cabled area and I am pretty certain there is a Virgin cable in my street

You can enter your postcode here http://www.virginmedia.com/cablemystreet/#!/cablemystreet

and it goes down to house number level to determine whether you can access Virgin services.

Coenoby

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 7 of 17 (238 Views)
Helpful Answer
2 weeks ago

[ Edited ]

Sadly while the Superusers are endorsed by Virgin because of the value of the information we've given users in the past, we are not Virgin Media employees.

If the account is still live then it MIGHT be possible to do a move end transfer when a new account is created so that any addresses associated with the old virgin.net address would be linked to the new cable account.  This however is not apparently a guaranteed process.

The @ModTeam might be able ask one of the Forum Team to check if it is still live for you, although another way of checking would be to go to https://hunter.io/email-verifier

The main thing to look for is if the email address shows as still valid.

To be frank I do get fed up of first line phone support at Virgin Media.  As a customer I've experienced firsthand the quality of their information, and to be quite frank, the majority of it is quite poor.  If a problem falls outside of their limited scope, they tend to wing it.  (Sorry Virgin but that's how I see it)

The only link TalkTalk had with Virgin Media was that the ADSL side of the business was sold to TalkTalk.  While many of these customers have virgin.net email accounts, control of the email domain was NOT transferred.  In theory TalkTalk would have been the first point of contact for ADSL customers who were having email issues, as they no doubt liaised with Virgin on behalf of what was now their broadband customer.  But if you were not an ADSL customer then TalkTalk had nothing to do with your account.

Tim

Superuser
Message 11 of 17 (209 Views)
Helpful Answer
2 weeks ago

@jeanmasters1

I wrote my last post before I saw your response.

What Virgin Media would do is create a new account and then send a request to the email team to ask that the old virgin.net account be associated with the new account in what is referred to as a move and transfer.  This would then overwrite the email addresses on target account with your old email addresses.

Tim

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 15 of 17 (161 Views)
Helpful Answer
2 weeks ago

jeanmasters1 wrote:

Everyone I have spoken to has said they have had no problems with gmail so I have now opened an email account with them - but there's no guarantee that the same kind of problem wouldn't occur with them.  What to do????

Unfortunately there are very few guarantees in life especially when it comes to technologySmiley Happy

However, I recently came across this piece of analysis about the market share of various email clients http://emailclientmarketshare.com/

The Apple iPhone comes out top with Gmail second and together they account for over 50% of the market.

There are many other good email providers out there who are as reliable and easy to use as Gmail. However, if you are looking for any sort of pointer to future reliabilty there is usually safety in numbers (i.e. number of customers) and Gmail gives you that.

One final point though, as Ravenstar68/Tim said earlier you also need to think about a way to back up your emails, even if it is only the important ones, so you do not rely on one organisation to hold your valuable date on its servers. That will also give you an easier escape route if you ever decide to move from Gmail at some point.

I hope that's helpful

Coenoby

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 17 (285 Views)
Helpful Answer
2 weeks ago

[ Edited ]

You're half right.

The virgin.net domain itself is going nowhere.  Virgin Media still have CURRENT customers who use virgin.net email addresses.  However the emphasis is on the word current.

Virgin Media email addresses are only available to those who have an active internet account.  If you are in a cabled area then it might be possible to set up an account and have the old addresses linked to it.  But if you are not in a cabled area, then you are out of luck.

While Virgin Media has helped former customers in the past, they have taken the decision to concentrate on existing customers.  So it is unlikely that they will be able to assist.

Tim

P.S.  I dont' know who referred you to TalkTalk, but they have no control over the virgin.net domain.  Any virgin.net accounts from customers who were transferred to talktalk should have been closed by Virgin Media last year, as the 12 month time limit those customers were given expired in June 2016.

Tuning in
Message 3 of 17 (208 Views)

Thank you for your quick response, Tim.  Firstly, it is the Virgin Media team on 0345 454 1111 who have been telling me that they have no responsibility for virgin.net and that it was all transferred to Talk Talk - and I have been told this on all but one of the occasions I have called in this week.

Secondly, is there any way you can help me?  You don't specifically say if you can, but from the various posts it would look as though it might be possible to retrieve my emails.  I also don't understand why I wasn't emailed by Virgin to let me know this was going to happen, rather than just 'drop me in it'.  And the whole problem is compounded because anyone sending me an email will think that I have received it, as there is no non-delivery message. Just to get access for a short time would help tremendously.

I am in a cabled area and I am pretty certain there is a Virgin cable in my street.

Thanks, Jean

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 4 of 17 (272 Views)
Helpful Answer
2 weeks ago

Then the only way you'll get your email back to to become a virgin customer again

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 17 (193 Views)

Thank you, Danny. I'm willing to do that if Virgin can definitely confirm I'll regain access. But I obviously don't want to do that if they won't guarantee it. I'm new to this Forum - do you and Tim/Ravenstar actually work for Virgin? If not, whom do you suggest I approach to ask?
0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 6 of 17 (244 Views)
Helpful Answer
2 weeks ago

jeanmasters1 wrote:

I am in a cabled area and I am pretty certain there is a Virgin cable in my street

You can enter your postcode here http://www.virginmedia.com/cablemystreet/#!/cablemystreet

and it goes down to house number level to determine whether you can access Virgin services.

Coenoby

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 7 of 17 (239 Views)
Helpful Answer
2 weeks ago

[ Edited ]

Sadly while the Superusers are endorsed by Virgin because of the value of the information we've given users in the past, we are not Virgin Media employees.

If the account is still live then it MIGHT be possible to do a move end transfer when a new account is created so that any addresses associated with the old virgin.net address would be linked to the new cable account.  This however is not apparently a guaranteed process.

The @ModTeam might be able ask one of the Forum Team to check if it is still live for you, although another way of checking would be to go to https://hunter.io/email-verifier

The main thing to look for is if the email address shows as still valid.

To be frank I do get fed up of first line phone support at Virgin Media.  As a customer I've experienced firsthand the quality of their information, and to be quite frank, the majority of it is quite poor.  If a problem falls outside of their limited scope, they tend to wing it.  (Sorry Virgin but that's how I see it)

The only link TalkTalk had with Virgin Media was that the ADSL side of the business was sold to TalkTalk.  While many of these customers have virgin.net email accounts, control of the email domain was NOT transferred.  In theory TalkTalk would have been the first point of contact for ADSL customers who were having email issues, as they no doubt liaised with Virgin on behalf of what was now their broadband customer.  But if you were not an ADSL customer then TalkTalk had nothing to do with your account.

Tim

Tuning in
Message 8 of 17 (162 Views)

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your latest email.  I have checked on that website you gave me and it does look as though my virgin.net email is valid.  Am I right in concluding that my only way forward is to sign up for a Virgin Media account (even though I don't need it!) and new Virgin email address, and that Virgin can then create a link from the old virgin.net account so that all my old emails and contacts would be forwarded to it?  I wonder if they will let me make this a condition of signing up?  Somehow I doubt it, given the way they have behaved.

Thanks, Jean 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 9 of 17 (161 Views)

I just wanted to add some personal thoughts.

While I understand the contacts information may be valuable to you, I personally would hesitate creating a cable account just to regain access to the data, even if it were 100% guaranteed that you'd regain access.

To be honest while we've all relied on ISP email addresses in the past (myself included) this episode should highlight why it's a bad idea to continue to do so.  Leave the ISP and you lose the account and associated data.  It also highlights the importance of backing up important data regularly.

Tim

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 10 of 17 (160 Views)

Thank you Coenoby. I have checked and my street is already cabled for Virgin services.
Regards Jean
0 Kudos