Menu
gavmoulds
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No access to email accounts

Although I am a previous customer of Virgin I retained access to 2 email accounts. I have one diverted to another address which still works and one is my wifes which she can still use on her mobile. My question is this.

Why cant I sign in via the virgin online system to access them as I am still receiving emails which are forwarded.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: No access to email accounts

I'm afraid the system has caught up with you. VM addresses are only available to people with live, paid for VM broadband accounts. Leaving VM means that addresses will close down after 90 days. Some slip through the nest . Yours did, and the net has now closed round them. Web mail access is the first to go. Then e-mail client access. Eventually it will all stop working. You need to act now for both of you to replace these addresses, save what e-mails you need to keep and tell your contacts.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Once you cease to be a VM broadband customer your email accounts should remain open for 90 days. After that they should be closed.

However the systems don't seem to be very good at fulfilling this.
Online access is generally first to go, with access via an email client or app continuing to work.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oooh... two Superusers with one thought!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
gavmoulds
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If this is the case then why am I still receiving emails from the accounts. I have tested them this morning and they are both receiving mail which is diverted to another account.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We've explained this. Web mail is the first service to cease so you can't view via web mail (as you have found out) but the accounts remain accessible directly via an e-mail client and in that is included what you are seeing. But it won't last long.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
gavmoulds
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

This doesnt make sense at all.

1.... I left virgin years ago.

2...Are you saying that I can no longer stop emails being sent to me  ( they are forwarded and as such I cannot stop them as I cannot access the web portal  )

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Last reply on this. Once your addresses are fully deleted, as they will be, senders will get a bounce message telling them that the mailbox they are sending to no longer exists. In the meantime before full deletion you will be able to see what is sent to you if you use an e-mail client like Thunderbird to check your mail.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos