Menu
wimball
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

No Spam in Spam Folder?

My Spam folder is still empty after a week of the VM system. It is very unlikely that I have received no Spam emails in that time so I wonder where they have gone.

Peter 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No Spam in Spam Folder?

wimball wrote:

My Spam folder is still empty after a week of the VM system. It is very unlikely that I have received no Spam emails in that time so I wonder where they have gone.

Peter 

The new system is set to delete all spam without delivering it to the spam folder.  This was clearly set out in the Welcome email.

To help keep your mailbox clutter free, SPAM will be blocked by our state of the art filters. You can change this to deliver it to a SPAM folder or your Inbox instead

If you want to have control over this then you need to change the settings by going to Cog > Settings > Spam settings and choose which setting suits you best.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

wimball wrote:

Peter 

The new system is set to delete all spam without delivering it to the spam folder.  This was clearly set out in the Welcome email.

To help keep your mailbox clutter free, SPAM will be blocked by our state of the art filters. You can change this to deliver it to a SPAM folder or your Inbox instead

If you want to have control over this then you need to change the settings by going to Cog > Settings > Spam settings and choose which setting suits you best.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

wimball wrote:

Peter 

By default all spam is removed before you ever see it. You'll need to tweak the settings in the webmail. To do that sign in to the webmail -> cog -> settings -> SPAM settings. Change the setting to 'Flag a message as spam and deliver to SPAM folder'.

Any spam emails deletes already are gone.

Edit: Graham is on fire today Cat Embarassed

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
BrummagemFlash
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Shelke may think you're on fire; but I'd like to help by throwing cold water.

I've only found this reference; from an "Important Stuff" (imminent new VM-email) announcement of 6th June 2015; describing changes to email service, once returned to Virgin control:

(quote) "If you had filters or rules set up to help you manage your email, you’ll need to set these up again on the new service after the move."

I always believed filtering of spam emails into a separate folder was done automatically by Virgin, then by GoggleMail. When I first set up my blueyonder account; and again when shunted out to GoggleMail; I'm sure there was never a menu of spam-filter options in customer settings. 

So why would I now read the quote above; and think that it means I'll now be able to (let alone need to) "set these (filters or rules) up again" in my "new" webmail account?

Maybe I was naive to think that I wouldn't need to check through any "Welcome (to the new email service)" Email; for more information telling me that spam filtering was to be done differently: default-blocking everything that VM's famously unreliable filtering flagged up as "suspect"!

Such important changes should've been notified separately and explicitly: not vaguely, without explaining CLEARLY:

WARNING..... VIRGIN CUSTOMERS WILL HAVE ALL (SUSPECTED) SPAM EMAILS DELETED BY DEFAULT !

I guess probably a dozen of my legitimate emails were blocked and irretrievably deleted; by the NEW spam rules; before I eventually found out why my spam folder was permanently empty....  thanks very much!

Now where's that bouquet of cold water, missus?

X
0 Kudos
brudie
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My spam folder dosent work like that at all. And whats this welcome mail? I have never recieved such a mail in the years I have been with virgin.  And why isnt there a spell check on emails anymore

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Spell checker - that's because your browser has one, so it is not duplicated in any web based e-mail service that I know of.

And you have added to a two year old dead thread making your issue obscure. If you have an issue why not start your own thread with a full explanation of what you are seeing and what is concerning you?

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This thread is 18 months old and the default spam settings have since been changed to move to spam folder rather than delete.

The welcome email referred to was sent to user when their mail was switched to the new system.