Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
Making Waves
Cheds23

New email settings for aliases?

[ Edited ]

Hi.

I'm on a mac, running OSX 10.5.8 and use Mail as my email software - favouring a pop account rather than using webmail. My wife has her own login and also uses Mail for her emailing needs, using an alias to my primary email account.

Having received the email about the new email settings and needing to change username on the primary email address... I have changed it from the previous raNdOm1234 to my.name@blueyonder.co.uk.

Could someone please advise whether and what I need to change on any aliases on this account in their settings.

Currently my wife's email address is configured with a username raNdOm1234_2 and I have a couple of other email addresses on other aliases raNdOm1234_3 and raNdOm1234_4.  I've looked in My Virgin Media and seen all the aliases are currently in there listed as raNdOm1234@blueyonder.co.uk, raNdOm1234_2@blueyonder.co.uk, raNdOm1234_3@blueyonder.co.uk and raNdOm1234_4@blueyonder.co.uk

Do I need to change the usernames of these to be my.name_2@blueyonder.co.uk, my.name_3@blueyonder.co.uk and my.name_4@blueyonder.co.uk so that they still go to their own mailboxes or do I leave them as they are currently?

I dont want all my wife's email coming into my inbox on the primary email account, and she wont want mine going to hers either (I'd like to have been able to just leave them as they were as they worked fine, but I know this isnt the case as it's now been 'improved' for us!!)

Any helpful advice would be great. Thanks

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Cheds23

Re: New email settings for aliases?

just bumping this up top, in the hope of an answer.

Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
robotski

[ Edited ]

Hi yes, your email address replaces your old username for log in. This applies to any and all addesses you have for blueyonder adresses.

But I have changed these and now have lots of mailboxes but get triplicate emails (that's 3 copies sent to me for any mod that wants to help out here) to the addresses that used to be linked as alias of the same user name. Which I now have to investigate further to fix.

So if you can, I would make sure you use a seperate user name for you and your wife, linked to alias email addresses, so you can keep these seperate.

eg raNdOm1234_1 for you, raNdOm1234_2 for her or whatever.

Good luck to all of us.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Cheds23

Thanks for the reply.. I'm still confused with this to be honest.

So I've got as far as changing MY username to be the same as my email address [my.name@blueyonder.co.uk].

So to make sure she still gets mail to her inbox and not start coming to mine, should I now be changing my wife's USERNAME to:

a) be the same as HER email address [wifes.name@blueyonder.co.uk] or

b) should it still be staying as it currently is (as an alias of my primary address, denoted by the [_2] after it) [raNdOm1234_2] but with the addition of [@blueyonder.co.uk]

c) should it change to be the same as MY username [my.name@blueyonder.co.uk] but with the [_2] before the [@]

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

Cheds23 wrote:

So to make sure she still gets mail to her inbox and not start coming to mine, should I now be changing my wife's USERNAME to:

a) be the same as HER email address [wifes.name@blueyonder.co.uk] or

b) should it still be staying as it currently is (as an alias of my primary address, denoted by the [_2] after it) [raNdOm1234_2] but with the addition of [@blueyonder.co.uk]

c) should it change to be the same as MY username [my.name@blueyonder.co.uk] but with the [_2] before the [@]

Thanks in advance.

If your wife's e-mail is on it's own mailbox then the username should be her full e-mail address and the associated password

To double check put her e-mail and password in here and it will tell you the primary username to use https://ipauth.virginmedia.com/SSO_BLUEYONDER/servlet/StartupServlet

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Making Waves
Cheds23

Hi.

Thanks for that link - I've tried it and it gave her email address as the primary username (although I thought when I'd set them all up on the old system it had said you could create up to 5 aliases, but they were in fact separate mailboxes were they?)

So I assume as long as I change just her username from the existing raNdOm1234_2 to her full email address, that is all I will need to do to carry on in exactly the way we have been up until now?

Thanks for your help.

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

Cheds23 wrote:

(although I thought when I'd set them all up on the old system it had said you could create up to 5 aliases, but they were in fact separate mailboxes were they?)

On the old system you could have 5 seperate mailboxes each with 5 e-mail addresses feeding into them.

So I assume as long as I change just her username from the existing raNdOm1234_2 to her full email address, that is all I will need to do to carry on in exactly the way we have been up until now?

Thanks for your help.

Yes that sounds right

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
ColJack

great, I was wondering about this myself.

I used to have broadband at home ( mothers house ) and created a website etc using my webspace.

when I moved out I got a newconnection at my new place, but since mother used the internet at "home" she kept the other connection ( was in dad's name anyway.. ).

this saved me having to re-locate my website and allowed me to keep my e-mail address the same as before ( and a new one to boot.. )

however this new change means that my original e-mail address is the primary for that account but mother has her own alias e-mail.

am I to understand that the "up to 5 e-mail boxes" that we were given each now have their own account and that her e-mail address will be the login details required on her computer?

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

ColJack wrote:

am I to understand that the "up to 5 e-mail boxes" that we were given each now have their own account and that her e-mail address will be the login details required on her computer?

As part of the migration each mailbox should have had the primary email alias set as the main login details

So if you had a mailbox a1234567 @blueyonder.co.uk with johnsmith1 @blueyonder.co.uk and johnsmith2 @blueyonder.co.uk as attached e-mail addresses then previously you could have used a1234567 @blueyonder.co.uk to login into the e-mail mailbox. Now you would have to use johnsmith1 @blueyonder.co.uk (which would also download any e-mail for johnsmith2 @blueyonder.co.uk)

The link I provided above can be used to check which POP/SMTP/IMAP login detail is needed for each e-mail address you want to check

Please use plain text.