Menu
brassed01
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

New Virgin Media Email

I have New Virgin Mail and Windows Live Mail and when I send a message in either of these it no longer appears in the other . Tried removing Live Mail and reloading but this did not work - any suggestions ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Virgin Media Email

Perfectly normal behaviour. It happened in the previous Google system. I'll explain

In WLM sent messages go out using VM's own servers in Knowsley (SMTP servers). They by-pass web mail completely. The only way they will sync is if you are using IMAP.

In Web mail, sent mail will appear in the "Sent Objects" folder and will not be picked up by WLM again unless you are using IMAP to keep the folders in sync and which will allow you to view all your mail on all your devices.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
brassed01
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Tried creating a new account in WLM with IMAP using my same email address and settings obtained from VM support after which it appeared to start downloading files, left this running all night and was still getting the same display so cancelled the transfer and deleted the new account and resorted to the community.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Fine, but I would never have guessed that from your original post. So it is a problem about IMAP not working rather than an issue about how web mail and WLM work together? 

This is not my field of direct expertise so I'll have to leave it to others to respond as they come across this thread.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi brassed01,

Welcome and thanks for posting. Sorry to hear your experiencing issues with windows live mail and webmail.

I've not come across this issue before. It may have been an issue related to the IMAP performance issues we had last week. Has it started to work over the weekend? If it hasn't are you able to try another mail program on your computer using IMAP. If this works you'll know the issue is directly related to windows live mail.

Kind regards

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
brassed01
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there,

Eventually over the weekend it did seem to accept My IMAP settings and apparently started to download folders from the server which I presumed to be old emails stored on the re. There was a message saying that depending on my download speed it may take a few minutes , however it just kept on and on. Watching it on Task Manager there was a spike about every 1 to 2 minutes which I took to be messages but I left it running for a whole day without it stopping so decided it was going nowhere and cut it off which in turn closed the account I was trying to set up. I did check what the situation was with Outlook in my office program but that is out of date and would involve paying at least £60 just to try - so for now I have decided to give Virgin Mail a try, it does seem to be better than the old version. Unless you have any good ideas. Brassed01 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi brassed01,

Thanks for your reply. 

If you have a lot of emails on webmail (Virgin mail) then that maybe why the program is taking so long to sync with the server. If you don't have many mails on webmail then it maybe worth trying an alternate program as I suggested. Thunderbird is another email program you could try in the meantime if you wanted to stick with a mail client. 

Kind regards

Stephen_B
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
brassed01
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi there, thanks I may give that a try. Brassed01

0 Kudos
brassed01
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

My problem with Virgin is one contact only and I can get round that with Windows Live Mail, but I would like to solve the problem with the one.
0 Kudos