Menu
view
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New PC, Windows 10, Outlook 2016 - can't send email

Hi,

On a brand new PC running Windows 10 (factory install), AVG antivirus, I then downloaded Office 2016.  I can receive emails, I just can't send them.  Settings as per the VirginMedia guides.

I've tried using outlook in safe mode.

I've tried repairing Outlook.

I've run sfc /scannow (and yes, rebooted afterwards).

I can send from webmail, just not from Outlook.

I've run out of ideas, and I can't be the only person suffering this way ...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New PC, Windows 10, Outlook 2016 - can't send email

What error messages are you seeing, if any. Could be of vital importance in tracking this one down - though penny to a £ it is because you have not got authentication set properly or set at all for your outgoing SMTP server.

This guide might help you spot the error:

http://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=2723&CURRENT_C...

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
view
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

I *think* I have the authentication set correctly (as per the guide that you linked to).

Error message:
Task 'username@virginmedia.com - Sending' reported error (0x800CCC0F) : 'The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

I'm stumped.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for this. It's not a password error or an authentication error. This one is more difficult because the connection to the server is failing just as it connects. The error message means what it says. It could be a temporary fault with the SMTP server, but the best advice I can give you is to rigorously check your settings. There other experts here who know about Outlook than I do and they may come up with ideas.

One thing you can try - and do it quickly in an e-mail session only is to disabled temporarily your AVG; it is possible that your AV is behaving oddly.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

As Howard says, this is probably down to AVG.

See Microsoft's official advice on the subject for all current Outlook versions - here - 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/kb/813514

You don't need to turn off the whole of AVG to test this, you can simply turn off the email scanning.

If you can't readily find the instructions to do this, just Google -

"turn off email scanning in avg" and read all about it.