cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Ntlworld Email Settings

jmoore1
Tuning in

Since the other day after Virgin decided to do some updates I now have been unable to access my Ntlworld email through my email client. Virgin have decided to seemingly not tell anyone about the update and I've had to find the new settings out myself.

These work for me, and they are not the same as Virgin gave me:

Email settings for addresses ending in @ntlworld.com

Type of information

Settings to enter

Sending mail (SMTP)

SMTP server name

smtp.virginmedia.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port

SMTP authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

SMTP username

Full email address, e.g., richard.branson@ntlworld.com

Receiving mail (IMAP4)

IMAP4 server name

imap.virginmedia.com

IMAP4 SSL

Enabled

IMAP4 port

IMAP4 authentication

IMAP4 username

IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

Receiving mail (POP3)

POP3 server name

pop3.virginmedia.com

POP3 SSL

Enabled

POP3 port

POP3 authentication

POP3 username

POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)

Disabled

(Mod edit to match settings listed here)

17 REPLIES 17

Thanks for getting back to me.

Details as follows ....

1. Server that's affected - imap.ntlworld.com
  2. Full error message (minus any email addresses) - Connection to server xxxxxx.xxxxxx@ntlworld.com timed out. 
  3. pings and tracert to the affected server.

================================

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10586]
(c) 2015 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Mike>ping imap.ntlworld.com

Pinging imap.ntlworld.com [62.254.26.207] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 62.254.26.207:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Users\Mike>

=======================

and

=======================

C:\Users\Mike>tracert imap.ntlworld.com

Tracing route to imap.ntlworld.com [62.254.26.207]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out.
2 20 ms 10 ms 10 ms brhm-core-2a-xe-835-0.network.virginmedia.net [213.105.114.213]
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * * * Request timed out.
5 * * * Request timed out.
6 14 ms 14 ms 25 ms leed-bb-1b-ae1-0.network.virginmedia.net [62.254.42.122]
7 18 ms 17 ms 18 ms know-dcore-1a-pc1.network.virginmedia.net [212.43.162.50]
8 18 ms 17 ms 17 ms imap.ntlworld.com [62.254.26.207]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\Mike>

==================================

I hope this helps. (Please let me know if there's anything else I can provide.

Thanks

BTW, I seem to be able to send emails (via smtp.ntlworld.com). They are received successfully though they do not appear in my Sent Items on Mozilla Thunderbird.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

On the plus side the tracert appears to follow the pattern I've seen in the other affected cases.  So it means there should be a definite fix at Virgin's end.  Although I can't say how long it will take them to actually fix it.

It's looking more like a network related fault then an actual mail server issue.  Not sure if it could be ACL lists or routing though.  What's weird to me is the tracert reaches the target, but the pings and server connections still time out.

Ravenstar68

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

I'm not sure what you've done (obviously), or when you did it, but I've just checked my email for the first time today and it seems to be working - my emails are being downloaded automatically to my laptop.

Many thanks

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Virgin had been trying some various fixes before now.  But they managed to resolve the problem yesterday judging from the reports I've been seeing in other threads.

Ravenstar68

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Makey
On our wavelength

At last!

Thank you for all you've had to do so that it would work for my SMTP account.

VirginMedia should be strongly admonished for treating its customers so badly (although it doesn't really surprise me with this terrible ISP!).

Best regards,

Trev.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Makey - You're posting in an ages old thread that most likely has nothing to do with your problem.

This particular issue was resolved in September 2016 and only affected a certain area of the country.

I take it that your SMTP account is working now then?

Tim

Makey
On our wavelength

Yes it's working now.  But NO THANKS TO VIRGIN MEDIA!

It was only got working for me by the company I deal with who had to work it out themselves and pass the information on to me.  It was they who told me that Virgin Media HAD NOT NOTIFIED ANYONE ABOUT THE CHANGES THAT HAD TAKEN PLACE!

BAD thing on Virgin Media.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Makey

You don't seem to be getting my point so let me spell it out for you.

1. Virgin have announced new recommended server settings - it's true.  For example they put up a sticky on these boards in March this year. - https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438
  2. Virgin Media HAVE NOT YET turned off the old legacy servers, in fact the servers ending blueyonder.co.uk, ntlworld.com and virgin.net still allow connections on insecure ports and logins using only the local part of the email address
    C:\Users\timdu>telnet imap.blueyonder.co.uk 143

* OK Virgin Media IMAP4 server ready [ e4c558782BY ].
    a1 login <Me> <My Password>
    a1 OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE IDLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT MULTIAPPEND URL-PARTIAL CATENATE UNSELECT CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS BINARY MOVE SPECIAL-USE QUOTA] Logged in
    a1 select inbox
    * FLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft $POP3Deleted Junk NonJunk $Forwarded $cl_2 $cl_0 $cl_1 $cl_3 $cl_4 $cl_5 $cl_6 $cl_7 $cl_8 $cl_9 $cl_10 cl_0 cl_1 cl_2 cl_3 cl_4 cl_5 cl_6 cl_7 cl_8 cl_9 cl_10 $NotJunk $Junk JunkRecorded)
    * OK [PERMANENTFLAGS (\Answered \Flagged \Deleted \Seen \Draft $POP3Deleted Junk NonJunk $Forwarded $cl_2 $cl_0 $cl_1 $cl_3 $cl_4 $cl_5 $cl_6 $cl_7 $cl_8 $cl_9 $cl_10 cl_0 cl_1 cl_2 cl_3 cl_4 cl_5 cl_6 cl_7 cl_8 cl_9 cl_10 $NotJunk $Junk JunkRecorded \*)] Flags permitted.
    * 41 EXISTS
    * 0 RECENT
    * OK [UNSEEN 21] First unseen.
    * OK [UIDVALIDITY 629296966] UIDs valid
    * OK [UIDNEXT 47057] Predicted next UID
    * OK [HIGHESTMODSEQ 11184] Highest
    a1 OK [READ-WRITE] Select completed (0.001 + 0.000 secs).
    a1 logout
    * BYE Logging out
    a1 OK Logout completed.

Connection to host lost.
    Note: Username and Password edited for security purposes.
  3. The problem in this thread was NOTHING TO DO WITH NEW EMAIL SETTINGS, it was an odd problem that only affected users in Northants and Cambs as I recall, and affected connections to different servers on the email platform for different users.  Some could't access webmail but could use an email client, for others the situation was reversed.  I remember this problem as I worked to bring this to the attention of the Forum Team at the time, and although the matter was cleared up, I don't think the cause was ever found.

Please be careful when posting in threads that you don't resurrect old threads, and that the problem is relevant to you.  Don't just go by the thread title, when deciding to join a thread.  The fact is if you wanted to rant, you should have done this in your current thread.  And you would still have been wrong about the cause.

I am going to ask the mods to lock this thread as your problem was not related to the problem in this thread.

Tim