Menu
back
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Need to change my main email account address

One of my email addresses was among the account details hacked from Virginmedia and I was informed of this. I was asked to delete the offending email account, which I did.

Recently, I received a spam email that was sent to a series of about 50 email addresses according to the header. All the addresses were variations derived from the hacked email address. I deleted the message without downloading any content from it. The message contained a false link posing as one to Virginmedia, but actually directed elsewhere. I received the email on my main email account address, since it was one of the variant email addresses included in the header.

I wish to delete the main email account and any references to it in your system since it is linked to an email address that you specifically told me to delete for security reasons. I also have two other derivative email addresses which I wish to delete.

I am a bit worried when you say in an earlier response that you can't alter the main email account address. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. I value my security and my Mac has not so far been hacked, although your recent letter to me on 29 December seems to say it had.

Could you please let me know what I should do next?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need to change my main email account address

Hello back

Welcome to our forum, I am sorry you received a letter from us, it can be a bit disconcerting. Just one thing I would like to emphasise though is the letter did not say "the account details hacked from Virginmedia" . What actually happened is we noticed that spam was being sent from your mailbox from around the world after an authenticated login to our SMTP mail server. In other words the spammers knew your password, we do not know how they got it but it may be because one of your devices has malware running or perhaps by another means, sometimes they may even guess an easy password by the way, more information here www.virginmedia.com/offspam

The email you received to the main account does not mean the main account is compromised, there is no need to change the address and we would not normally do that. If you no longer wish to use it please ignore it and if you would like you can set up another My Virgin Media access email address, while you are there you will be able to delete the other two email addresses you mention should you wish.

Basically at the moment if you have followed all the advice in the letter there is nothing else to do, we will keep an eye on things and let you know if it happens again.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
back
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need to change my main email account address

if you check, I think that my email was one of many whose details were hacked last year from Virginmedia. I am confident that my security was not breached and still has not been.

One of my worries was that I received a fishing email contained many email addresses similar to the one that was hacked last year and one of my non-hacked emails was among them. I thought that my account payment details could likewise be open to attack. Your answer has allayed that worry.

Nevertheless, I think, in the circumstances, that I had a genuine concern when you stopped all my email addresses from receiving email, because you suspected one of them to have been hacked, and that the hacked one had been deleted as soon as I had received the fishing email and weeks before the date of the letter informing me me why I had been cut off.

It seems that the matter is now over and done with.

i shall delete the ntlworld email accounts that seem to be under attack as soon as I have informed the firms and friends who use them.

Thanks for the response.

0 Kudos