Check your service statusCable National
Ask a question
One to Watch
Stinkwheels

NTLworld.com email address disabled

I have just found out that my ntlworld.com email that i have been using for over 10 years now has been disabled this morning!

Tried calling the 0845 4541111 number given on the website as asked when you try to access your account. After a very long and trying phone call, with two members of the phone team, they simply hung up on me rather than try and help me. I was unable to get over to them that I do not have a Virgin media account and they simply was not prepared to help if I did not have ne. I did ask how do I get one then if I need to be a customer to use my existing email. But this was wasted on two people (one of them was the manager) that couldn't see pass the face I was not a cusomter and didn't even listen to the problem that at 10am this morning I was getting my emails, but now are not.

It looks like I have lost alot of my emails and personal details. I have lost the use of this email address, which I have been using for 10 plus years. I have had no prior warning of this action from Virgin Media, so no time to move my email address. I am not happy at all. Not a good way to attract new customers is it? If Virgin media wanted me to become a customer then why not ask me. Just turning off my access to the emails is plain rude and unproffessional in my opinion!

Anyone else had this problem or managed to resolve it? Even maybe find someone at Virgin Media who is prepared to try and sort out the problem, without just wanting an account number I do not hold!

Even simple things like getting on this forum was a pain, as I had to set up a new email just to confirm the request. I am worried what other information is being lost on its way to me now as well.

Virgin Media if you read this forum, you have not dealt with this very well have you?

Someone please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

Re: NTLworld.com email address disabled

[ Edited ]

See this post for details on what has happened http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Disabled-Email-Accounts/td-p/1335764

Email addresses are only available with cable broadband services, you you would have to take out a broadband subscription so that the email account could be connected to it

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Stinkwheels

Read that, tried calling the number. So far wasted 30 minutes speaking to 3 people that still don't understanda I do not have an account with Virgin media and have never had one!

More of a worry now is they have a completely different name at my home address, one I have never heard off. This is opening a whole new can of worms.

So even after trying to become a customer so I can get access to my emails, I am no further to becoming one.

Does anyone have a phone number for someone who can deal with this?

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Stinkwheels

Right this is a joke and not a funny one at all!

Just on the phone to "Shweta" who tells me that Virgin Media can not get me that email address back, not even if I become a new customer. It is lost and I should of not had access since I left the Cable & Wireless service 7 years ago. I have only been accessing it by luck.

I asked what is needed to become a customer and she told me doesn't matter if I do become a customer, I will never be able to use that ntlworld.com address ever again.

So Mr Mark Wilkins, your statemement from Virgin Media on here is all lies.

Thanks for nothing Virgin Media. I've lost my email address and access and you have lost all respect I had for your company.

Please use plain text.
Making Waves
ian811

Yes me too

All lies and really bad customer service.

Will never use Virgin Media again and will ensure I tell as many people as possible about the bad service we had even when we were customers.

Please use plain text.
One to Watch
Jody37

Hi to all other victims

I agree I don't see how treating potential customers in this way is ever acceptable its a really mercenary thing to do. Surely the service could have been transferred to another free email provider at little cost to Virgin, in no way does webmail technically have to be connected to a broadband service so that is factually incorrect that is simply a company preference and to post mis information on your web site is incredibly poor, as is the lack of customer service provided by the off shore helpdesk all in all appalling on many different levels

Please use plain text.
Superuser
BenMcr

[ Edited ]

Jody37 wrote:

Hi to all other victims

I agree I don't see how treating potential customers in this way is ever acceptable its a really mercenary thing to do. Surely the service could have been transferred to another free email provider at little cost to Virgin, in no way does webmail technically have to be connected to a broadband service so that is factually incorrect that is simply a company preference and to post mis information on your web site is incredibly poor, as is the lack of customer service provided by the off shore helpdesk all in all appalling on many different levels

It wouldn't have been able to transfer them, no email service can - unless you control the domain itself. So if you sign up for a hotmail account, you couldn't then transfer that to Gmail or anywhere else - it would remain run and controlled by Microsoft.

It is true that some webmail services don't need to be connected to anything else because that is how they've been designed, but that isn't how Virgin's email system is set up. So it is factually correct that to have an email account with Virgin Media, you also have to have an active internet service account.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
NTL-Orphan

Same here....no contact from Virgin at all to seek permission to wipe, but that doesn't seem to have stopped them. Account stopped working a couple of days ago. Quoting DC01 helped the conversation on 0800 519 6986 with the very helpful and willing "Dave" but it looked at first glance that it was all wiped with no chance of reclaiming. However, when I gave him my mail address he could still see it in "a holding" queue and once we got around the fact that I'd never once had a single account or service from Virgin, he seemed able to use my old ntlworld account details to put some sort of reclaim flag on my account.

That said I now have to wait 7-10 days, checking my de-func'd e-mail address to see if a note from Virgin pops up. If not it's back to Dave et al with my call reference number.

Hopeful...........maybe....ironically I'm just moving home to a virgin cable area.....maybe talk to sky instead?

Please use plain text.
Forum Manager (Retired)
Mark_Wilkin

Stinkwheels and ian811: I'm sorry about this, if you could reply to the private message I'm about to send you we'll investigate what's gone wrong here and do our best to sort your email accounts out.

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Fresh as a Daisy
tjpage

Sorry to jump on the back of this thread, but I have exactly the same issue.

I feel out on a limb a bit as I am no longer a Virgin customer, but when we moved a year ago I was assured we could keep our email addresses. Also I'm sure we haven't received any details about closing down our accounts.

This is proving to be a complete nightmare, and to be honest I'm not even sure it is legal.

We have a lot of emails that we should at least be given the opportunity to move to a new address.

We have a few accounts assigned to the ntlworld email addresses and some we haven't logged onto for a while so setting a new password on these accounts is impossible if we've forgotten them.

Is there any way that we can be given back our account for say 30 days just so that we can do all the admin necessary for this switch?

I have spoken to customer services, technical support and sales with no joy.

Please use plain text.