Menu
Vix1017
Tuning in
Message 1 of 39
Flag for a moderator

My virgin.net email is blocked/hacked?

Since yesterday I've been blocked from using my main email account - virgin.net, which I've had for several years?  I can't download or send any emails, as it keeps telling me my password or username  or even security question answer or account details are wrong and I know my emails are backing up in that account but have no way to download them.  I think someone has hacked this account and is using my email address.  I tried all day yesterday to change the password or the username or get help from a human on the so-called Helpline but am stuck in a circular loop when I do all the different things suggested to change password, security question etc.  I also at various times put in my Virgin account details as requested, straight from my last bill but was again 'told' that the details were incorrect, which they're not.  I'm assuming that someone has disconnected my virgin.net email address from my account/password/security question.  Can anyone here advise me or is there a direct telephone number where I can talk to a human being to resolve this?  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Re: My virgin.net email is blocked/hacked?

Try entering the security answer in all UPPER CASE.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Vix1017
Tuning in
Message 3 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Ravenstar68, I can't seem to get to that point anymore on the sign in part of the site as it's only showing my ntlworld.com email now.  How can I get to that point again so that I can try putting in my security answer in all upper case?  Can you give me a step by step process to get to that point for my virgin.net account?  This is no longer registering as one of my accounts, although it was yesterday.  Is that because I managed to use my ntlworld.com email to re-access my billing account online?

0 Kudos
Vix1017
Tuning in
Message 4 of 39
Flag for a moderator

So I finally managed to get back to the sign in page for my virgin.net email.  As before (several times now), it rejected my correct password/username and got to the point where it asks for the answer to my security question.  So I typed this in all upper case letters as advised.  Unfortunately, this hasn't worked.  I then got taken to the page where it asks for your last bill details.  I typed all these in as before, exactly correctly and it rejected these too - again!  When I sign in with my ntlworld email and look at My Accounts, it's not even showing my virgin.net account - my main account I've used for years and years.  It's now over 24 hours without me being able to access what's probably hundreds of emails now.  I'm a paying customer and have been for years and am being denied access to my emails.  I'm still stuck.

Can anyone at all help with this?  Is there any direct line I can call to a human being - whatever the cost - who can sort this out?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Two options at this point.

Ring in to 150 or 0345 454 1111 and take the option for broadband faults.
Wait fir the Forum Team to come on board, they can take several days to get here though.

Tim

0 Kudos
Vix1017
Tuning in
Message 6 of 39
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again,  I've rung those numbers several times already and got to the broadband option and the only thing that happens is an automated voice saying they'll check all my appliances and see if any is faulty. which isn't at all related to my email problem.  I don't want this to happen as I'm worried that I'll then lose another Virgin service ( I don't really trust automated responses).  I actually need to talk with a human about the email problem.

Is there any way to get hold of a human at Virgin on the helpline by 'pretending' I need another service and then asking directly about email and hoping they'd then put me through to a technical support person?

0 Kudos
Vix1017
Tuning in
Message 7 of 39
Flag for a moderator

I'm still no further forward with this issue.  I still can't reach a human being on the Virgin helpline.  I still can't change my password or get into my virgin.net mail using my correct details - password, security question, last account bill details.

I'm still paying for this Virgin service but not receiving it - which is starting to feel like theft.  Can nobody give me any help with this or another telephone contact number where I can talk to a human expert?  

I'm going to pay for a local IT guy today to come over and try to help with this but I doubt Virgin would let me claim back his fees!  

VirginMedia - are you out there?  Are you listening?  Can I just get access to my emails please?  I opened my account with Virgin in 2008 and have been a loyal customer ever since, despite the ever-rising costs.  Can you help?  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 39
Flag for a moderator

It takes the Forum Team several days to get to a post on here.  You can wait for them to reach the thread or you can do as I've advised and go down the broadband faults route.  There are genuine people on the other end of the line but you do have to go through the broadband check first.  Something I think is stupid BTW but there's no getting round it.

You could try taking the retentions options instead (Thinking of leaving us)  They may be able to put you through, but there's still no guarantee of avoiding the broadband check.  Retentions used to be solely based in the UK but I believe that situation may have changed.

Email is provided as a free add on to the broadband service.  It's not something you pay for.

Tim

0 Kudos
Vix1017
Tuning in
Message 9 of 39
Flag for a moderator

This problem gets worse!  I finally managed to speak to a human at Virgin and they told me that my virgin.net email account no longer belonged to Virgin and had been taken over by TalkTalk.  They told me to call TalkTalk amd that I'd then be given a new password to get into my emails.  I called Talk Talk on the contact number Virgin gave me and they denied they owned any virgnin.net email accounts and said I needed to talk to Virgin!

This all took 2 hours on premium rate lines, with a paid IT expert sitting beside me - so costing me a lot of money.  So I know there was nothing I did or didn't do that was at fault.  

So what do I do now?  Which company is lying - Virgin or TalkTalk?  

My virgin.net emails are still going somewhere but not accessible by me.  No one who's emailing me will get any indication that I'm not receiving their emails.  

Virgin denied that I have a virgin.net email account with them but I've had one for several years and can access my emails on the Virgin email website.  However, that email account is no longer showing up on my Virgin accounts.

I gave my current and my past address to Virgin and to TalkTalk and both can't find my email address attached to my account and of course I don't actually have a TalkTalk account, as I belong to Virgin not TalkTalk.

So are Virgin operatives on the helpline just pretending they can't help me with a virgin.net email account and falsely claiming that TalkTalk have taken over virgin.net accounts or are TalkTalk operatives being told to lie and say they can't help Virgin customers and sending me/us back to Virgin....who again say talk to TalkTalk?

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 39
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam

Before I say something I might regret or which breaches the Superuser code of conduct I suggest you provide this customer with an appropriate riposte to the time wasting and cost inducing expensive twaddle which he has been told by customer services about the virgin.net domain. 

Talking this kind of drivel to customers is reputationally damaging and utterly stupid. And it happens too often to be forgiven as a rouge customer service agent's misconstrual of the position.  Just how many times do we have to point this out before CS management takes action to stop this misleading nonsense being spouted by your CS staff.

From this @Vix1017 will understand he has been led a merry dance.  The virgin.net domain never left the control of VM. It is not and never was managed by TalkTalk following the transfer of VM national customers to TT in 2015.  

Perhaps it is time to look at this thread and help sort it out for him.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.