Menu
KarenStanley
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My email account is being used to send SPAM.

Hello I really need some help! My ntlworld email account is being used to send SPAM, I have changed passwords and security questions several times and generally followed the advice that is given, but without any success.  This has been going on now for more than 2 weeks and I have no idea what else to do. I am told SPAM is being received with my emaIl address, but using other peoples names from contacts etc. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Karen

0 Kudos
capjockey
Just joined
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: My email account is being used to send SPAM.

Same thing here, and we're by no means alone.

I had a letter from Virgin at the end of last week saying that it appeared one of our Virgin accounts was being used to send spam and suggested changing passwords and running virus scanner on all devices. The accounts worst affected are actually ntlworld accounts. Passwords changed on all accounts and nothing found scanning any device. It's still happening. Emails are sent to contacts from my address book but with someone else's name at the bottom.

Someone replied to the spam mail saying he thought I'd been hacked. When I hit reply, using Virgin webmail, the message could not be sent because spam content was recognised. So why didn't the Virgin/ntlworld server recognise the spam in the first place before sending out all the mails?

I did a web search and found this from 4 years ago:

"Virgin users are reporting spam email is being sent from their email address to contacts in their webmail inboxes."

"However, the forum posters who had run tests all claimed their antivirus software had found no infection."

"While the details of the intrusion remain unclear, Forth and other posters hit by the spam attack criticised the lack of information coming from Virgin regarding the issue."

Very frustrating and I'm not sure what end users can do. We need Virgin experts to offer a bit more help and insight.

Thanks

David

0 Kudos
capjockey
Just joined
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Those affected in past attacks seemed sure that it was their web address book that was being used rather than an Outlook address book. I've backed up my Virgin web address book to an Excel list and deleted all the entries to see if it quietens things down.

However, I've just noticed from a message bounced back as undeliverable that a lot of the addresses it was sent to, and signatures attached to those mails, are not in any of my address books. I don't know them. It looks like other people's address books are being trawled and then mailed out from an unrelated email account.

We need help please, Virgin.

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
KarenStanley
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, we need help.  Come on Virgin Media, your reputation is on the line here!

0 Kudos
ash2015
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just wanted to say that you are not alone with this problem--check out the other threads. There are others

suffering the same problem

I have also had this problem for over 3 weeks now.

Apart from the sheer waste of time deleting these bounced emails, the main concern is the security issues.

I am purportedly sending spam to all the contacts in my address book, but my Sent folder shows none of it.

I have scanned my PC for virus infections etc, changed my passwords and now My Son has completely wiped my PC

and reinstalled everything, only for the bounced emails to continue on a daily basis, and my friends and family have also been receiving spam from me !!

Why can`t Virgin Media admit there is a problem, staying silent is the worse offence.

Thanks Ash

0 Kudos
notverypleased
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I had a letter today after receiving one a couple of years ago too. It's regarding my daughters old email address which we deactivated when we received the same letter then. 

I am deeply concerned that even though we deactivated this email address years previous it's still seems be sending spam.

I have spoken to customer services and they have confirmed the email address concerned was deactivated and said to ignore spam from this address???? I don't really understand but I just hope virgin get to the bottom of this. Obviously deactivating does nothing. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi notverypleased,

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to see you have been having trouble with a deactivated account sending out spam. 

Please pop across the email address in question to me via PM (purple Envelope, top right hand corner) and we we be able to investigate further. 

Speak to you soon. 

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
notverypleased
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi emma

Ife private messaged you. We are getting letter after letter again and the email address is confirmed deactivated by virgin.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello notverypleased

Emma is a little busy at the moment so rather than waiting I thought I would take a look. I have to begin by apologising, you are correct the mailbox is deleted however it did not happen properly and so part of it remained active on our back end servers. There is nothing you could have done about it, totally our fault so sorry. I have raised a job P008197832 to get it completely deleted, normally takes about 7-10 days, once we hear back we will let you know.

Thank you

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello notverypleased

Just to let you know the mailbox is totally disabled, if you have any further problems please let us know.

Thank you 

Nicola

Virgin Media Forum Team
0 Kudos